Granger says not afraid of new elections

Leader of the Opposition, David Granger says that he is not afraid about the prospects of Government calling a new election and expressed confidence in contesting it since he does not believe that the vote-costing attitude of the Government has changed for the better in six weeks.

“I am not afraid. I am not afraid of anything the Government will do,” he said when asked about the possibility of new elections being called should there be parliamentary gridlock. He was speaking at a press conference held at Congress Place yesterday.

David Granger

“If they want to call elections they must realize that the results of the 2011 elections came about because of their own incompetence, because of the behaviour of [former President Bharrat] Jagdeo, because of the errors they made and the fact that many of their own supporters are fed up of their performance.

If they want to go back to the same people they are in for a big surprise because the attitude which gave a big victory to APNU and AFC have not changed. How could they change in six weeks?” he asked.

“They will be making a big mistake if they think what happened on November 28, 2011 is a flash in the pan. I am not afraid,” he declared. “Let them call another general election and they will see what will happen,” he said.

On the issue of access to the State media by the Opposition, Granger said that he will continue to press for this in Parliament

He said this was an issue that he raised during his second meeting with President Ramotar.

“We hope that there is a real opening [of the State media]. We intend to call for the opening of the State media, we intend to call for Broadcast legislation,” he said, adding that this is one of the important items on the agenda of the Opposition in Parliament.

Budget

On the issue of his request for there to be Opposition input in the crafting of the budget, Granger said that merely being told what the budget contains is not enough and decried the PPP/C handling of the budget over its many terms in office.

“The PPP has been in office for over 19 years and we know that the huge sums of money are left off the budget,” he said.

“There are three budgets – they present punctually in January or February, then there is a huge supplementary budget which contains billions of dollars, and thirdly the State disburses huge amounts of money which they collect from Lotto Funds, from the sale of public land and through revenues in the mining industry that are not brought into the Consolidated Fund. We want to put an end to this charade,” he said.

“We want to ensure that the revenues of this country are used to the benefit of the people.

That is why they are trying to shift us from the position of collaboration in the preparation of the budget to consultation,” he said.

He said that it is not just a matter of terminology or rhetoric. “It is a matter of substantial disbursement of billions of dollars,” he said.

With regard to the cooperation between APNU and the Alliance For Change, he said that because of the 72 hours notice that they received for the convening of the Tenth Parliament, “We have not concluded a written agreement with the AFC.”

When asked about the party’s position on the budget given that the Government took the stance it has, he said his response remains the same as it had been on Thursday…”when it comes to votes then we will see what happens.”

He said that the Opposition does not want confrontation but to ensure that there is better governance, better financial management and that the institutions on which the country relies are reestablished and respected. This is good Government,” he said.

PNC/R Congress

Granger in addressing whether he would be a candidate for the leadership of the PNCR, said that this is still an internal matter and there is no knowledge who the candidates will be. “I have not made any preparation or any declaration.

I have a lot of work to do as Leader of the Opposition and I would like to get on with my work. If a request is made I would consider that request but right now it is nothing that I have considered,” he said.

Latest in Local News

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

default placeholder

‘What’s in the cup, stays in the cup’

People’s Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary Clement Rohee says “What’s in the cup stays in the cup,” in response to a question on whether the matter involving PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP), Nigel Dharamlall over threats he allegedly made, has been explained to the party’s satisfaction.

Carlton Beckles

Lethem Council sees agro-processing focus for Industrial Site 

The first municipal council of Lethem, Region Nine sees agro-processing as a key focus for the Lethem Industrial Site. Mayor of the recently commissioned township of Lethem, Carlton Beckles told GINA that the completion of the industrial area, with an emphasis on agro-processing is among priorities that the council has set to accomplish before it demits office.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: