Lethem’s power woes continue

Residents in Lethem are still without power as the damaged part of the generator which was returned from the city yesterday had to be sent back since it could not work.

The part is now scheduled to return by Monday so as to get the generator functioning again according to the Chief Executive Officer of the Lethem Power Company (LPC), a resident said.

A protest action is planned by residents later in the month if nothing is done to address the power situation.

One resident, Carlton Beckles, told this newspaper yesterday that in August, Prime Minister Samuel Hinds had promised them a generator with the capacity to supply power to the entire Lethem, but this promise has not been fulfilled to date. He stated that the generator was scheduled to arrive one month after the PM’s visit.

Beckles also added that the power situation in the area has gotten worse and the two small generators at the LPC are not capable of supplying the entire Lethem at once and are unreliable. He also said, “we are concerned about the long-term power situation being fixed so that we can have 24 hours of power.”

Since Monday, residents of Lethem and neighbouring villages were experiencing power outages as one of the generators of the LPC failed, leaving residents with just a daily five hour-supply of electricity. The disruption was the latest to hit the community after a bolt from one of the generators was damaged.

On Monday, Lethem was left without electricity during the course of the afternoon only to have a limited supply of power later in the night. From then onwards, power has been sporadically distributed to it and neighbouring villages.

As a result of the ongoing electricity problems, the water supply to villages was also disrupted as immediately after power is cut off, the water goes too.

During the course of last month, this newspaper had reported that after the failure of the main generating set about two months ago, the growing town was being powered by two smaller generators. But the community experienced constant blackouts, since these generators could not cope with the demands of the town.

More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  2. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  3. Ameer Abdool Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  4. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  5. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  6. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  7. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

  8. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

  9. Cops grilling taxi driver after passenger robbed of $6M on seawall

Recommended For You