Chris Brown pulls out of Guyana show

Hits and Jams this afternoon issued a statement on its Facebook page confirming that R&B star Chris Brown has pulled out of his scheduled Boxing Day concert here following continued protests against him.

Protests here and around the world have centred on the fact that he was convicted of battering his now former girlfriend Rihanna.

Chris Brown
Chris Brown

Local activists had argued that his coming here would have been an inappropriate signal considering the high levels of domestic violence here. Brown still needs court permission for travel abroad as he is on probation.

The Hits and Jams statement follows:

Chris Brown pulls out of Guyana Show over protest concerns, Replacement acts being negotiated

The Hits and Jams Entertainment Group regrets to inform the public that the Management of International Artiste Chris Brown has decided to pull the artiste from his performance in Guyana which was scheduled for Boxing Day, December 26, 2012 at the Guyana National Stadium.

Chris Brown’s Management team expressed concerns over recent media reports about protests over the artiste’s intended visit to Guyana and his performance here. The management team in a correspondence to HJ Entertainment said they do not feel comfortable at this stage allowing the multi award winning singer to come to Guyana as they have been following reports in the local and international press about the protests over his Guyana appearance.

Over the weekend, the singer’s performance in Europe was smeared with widespread protests. His team appears to be making efforts to avoid similar protests. His management team has indicated that they remain interested in having the singer perform in Guyana but just not at this time under the current circumstances.Hits and Jams Entertainment intends to still host the “Unforgettable II” show on December 26 but with a different headline act. Already negotiations have started with a number of leading American R&B artistes and we will keep the media and the public up-to-date with the developments.

 

 

Latest in Local News

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

default placeholder

‘What’s in the cup, stays in the cup’

People’s Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary Clement Rohee says “What’s in the cup stays in the cup,” in response to a question on whether the matter involving PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP), Nigel Dharamlall over threats he allegedly made, has been explained to the party’s satisfaction.

Carlton Beckles

Lethem Council sees agro-processing focus for Industrial Site 

The first municipal council of Lethem, Region Nine sees agro-processing as a key focus for the Lethem Industrial Site. Mayor of the recently commissioned township of Lethem, Carlton Beckles told GINA that the completion of the industrial area, with an emphasis on agro-processing is among priorities that the council has set to accomplish before it demits office.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: