Health Ministry still to recover $9.7M paid for breast milk substitute

An advance payment of $9.7M was made by the Ministry of Health for the supply of breast milk but it never received it and neither was the money returned.

The 2011 report of the Office of the Auditor General on the Public Accounts of Guyana said that it was learnt that $9.7M was paid to B&N Export for the supply of breast milk substitute upon receipt of an advance payment guarantee from an insurance company. The Auditor General’s report did not state when the advance was paid or when the advance payment guarantee was obtained from the insurance company.

It said however that the guarantee expired on July 18, 2012 without the supplier fulfilling its contractual obligation. The Ministry told the auditors that it had written to the insurance company on the 17th of July, 2012 to levy on the guarantee but that the matter was still pending.

The audit office recommended that the ministry aggressively follow-up the matter to recover the sum paid to the supplier. There was no discussion in the report of the basis on which the supplier was chosen and whether it had previously conducted business with the Ministry of Health.

The Audit Office report also pointed out that $9M worth of reagents which was to be supplied to the Ministry of Health remains outstanding.

The audit office report said that a similar observation had been made in the 2010 report.  The ministry’s response was that the sum of $9M had been paid to the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) for the supply of reagents and that PAHO was still in the process of procuring the reagents to complete the order.

It was also pointed out in the 2011 audit report that an examination of 110 payment vouchers for acquisitions under current and capital provisions of the ministry showed that 29 vouchers totalling $161.6M  had no evidence of delivery or stores received notes  attached as evidence of the receipt of goods and in some cases there was no acknowledgement of the amounts paid. By the time of reporting in September 2012, three vouchers totaling $16.8M were still to be presented with the necessary supporting documents.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Oil drilling likely in five years

Country Manager of Exxon Mobil Corporation, Jeff Simons today reaffirmed that the company will not start the actual extraction of oil from its huge offshore well for another five years.

default placeholder

Alzarri Joseph called up for Test duty

ST.JOHN’s, Antigua, CMC-Promising Antiguan fast bowler Alzarri Joseph is set to make his Test debut after he was drafted into the West Indies side for the current home series against India.

default placeholder

Caribbean series hopes to crack US market with T20 foray

(Reuters) – Chris Gayle and Shane Watson need no introductions in cricket-playing countries but while they are unlikely to become household names in the U.S.

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: