Chris Brown cancels after protest

-Hits and Jams

The Hits and Jams Entertain-ment Group yesterday announced that the management for R&B singer Chris Brown, who was scheduled to perform at a Boxing Day concert, has cancelled his appearance due to the protests over his visit.

“Chris Brown’s Management team expressed concerns over recent media reports about protests over the artiste’s intended visit to Guyana and his performance here… they do not feel comfortable at this stage allowing the multi-award winning singer to come to Guyana as they have been following reports in the local and international press about the protests over his Guyana appearance,” the organisation said in a press statement.

The statement noted that over the weekend, the singer’s performance in Europe was smeared with widespread protests. “His team appears to be making efforts to avoid similar protests,” it said.

However, Hits and Jams Chief Executive Officer Kerwin Bollers told Stabroek News that all was not lost as Brown’s management has not ruled out a performance here at a later date. “They have stressed ‘not at this time’ and we take that to mean now. So, we have not ruled out maybe sometime next year and that is positive,” Bollers said.

Bollers also informed that since many would have anticipated the concert, dubbed “Unforgettable II” and billed for the National Stadium, plans were immediately shifted to get another ‘A’ list R&B act as an adequate replacement. “We are right now working to get a replacement act and you guys will hear something definitive in about four to five days… what we do know is that the public will not be as disappointed,” he added.

Protests here and around the world have questioned the appropriateness of the government’s support for the concert in light of the fact that Brown was convicted of battering his now former girlfriend, R&B star Rihanna, three years ago. Local activists had argued that his coming here would have been an inappropriate signal, considering the high levels of domestic violence here. Other groups opined that Brown’s coming should be used to make a positive impact and suggested that proceeds from the show should go towards domestic violence sensitisation efforts.

Women’s rights activists Stella Ramsaroop told Stabroek News that the cancellation was a sign that the works of organisations such as hers, the S4 Foundation, did not go down in vain. “The protests against Chris Brown by many women’s advocacy groups in Guyana, as well as the protests across Europe this past weekend, send a message to celebrities, political figures and others on an international stage that women—and the men who care about women—will no longer sit idle and pretend that violence against women does not happen or allow it to be swept under the rug,” Ramsaroop said.

“As this Sunday is International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women, let this be a reminder that abusers will be [held] accountable for their actions, if not by the law, then by the women of the world.

For entertainers, it means a loss of revenue. For political figures, it means being voted out of office,” Ramsaroop added.

Latest in Local News

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

default placeholder

‘What’s in the cup, stays in the cup’

People’s Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary Clement Rohee says “What’s in the cup stays in the cup,” in response to a question on whether the matter involving PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP), Nigel Dharamlall over threats he allegedly made, has been explained to the party’s satisfaction.

Carlton Beckles

Lethem Council sees agro-processing focus for Industrial Site 

The first municipal council of Lethem, Region Nine sees agro-processing as a key focus for the Lethem Industrial Site. Mayor of the recently commissioned township of Lethem, Carlton Beckles told GINA that the completion of the industrial area, with an emphasis on agro-processing is among priorities that the council has set to accomplish before it demits office.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: