Cotton Tree farmers swamped

-as repairs not completed on D’Edward sluice

Cash crop farmers of Cotton Tree, West Coast Berbice have suffered tremendous losses following heavy rainfall, coupled with the blocking of the three-door sluice at D’Edward Village as a result of repairs. Distressed at their loss, the farmers said the work on the luice commenced about three months ago and was not completed in time for the rainy season.

According to them, the one-door sluice at No 12 is not sufficient to drain the water. They are blaming officials at the Mahaica, Mahaicony, Abary/Agricultural-Development-Authority (MMA/ADA) for undertaking repairs without putting alternative measures in place.

When Stabroek News visited the area around 1:30 pm yesterday the water was still high in the farms and houses.

Some residents have had to mount their fridges and other appliances while some persons said they stepped off their beds to be greeted with water above their ankles.

The residents said they would normally be affected by flooding after a heavy rainfall “but as soon as they blow the koker the water would recede.”

According to them, they visited regional chairman, Bindrabhan Bisnauth seeking relief from their woes and he tried to find solutions to their problems.

They also visited the MMA/ADA and “spoke to the irrigation manager, Anil Ramjit and he told us that he would be here and that he would send an excavator” to open the doors.

They were pleased that the regional vice-chairman visited them yesterday and tried to source a pump from MMA/ADA. However, they learnt that the pump could not work at D’Edward.

In an interview with Stabroek News last evening, Bisnauth said “the sluice has been up and running from 8 pm. Two doors have been opened and the third door would be opened tomorrow [today].”

He said “residents and staff from MMA were still there [last evening] at the sluice to volunteer and to lend support to the operators.”

Regarding the delay in the repairs to the sluice, the chairman said it was “not caused because of administrative hurdles” but rather because “the contractors had to go through a process.”

Some persons commented that government needs to repair the pump at Trafalgar so that residents do not have to continue to suffer losses to flooding.

They said the flooding started on November 28, when the rainy season commenced. They kept hoping that the water would recede but yesterday the situation got worse.

One farmer said that, “Since 2005 we suffering from flooding in this area and we were promised help but the agricultural representative never provided any. We hear that it would reach up to Bath Settlement.”

Zahiruddeen Rahman said 1,200 of his bearing English tomato plants and 800 roots that were at the flowering stage were under water. He said he invested $200,000 and depended on the farm to maintain his family.

“It is very hard to spend all that money to raise the tomato to the bearing stage and then watch them go down the drain.” Another farmer, Sunhanlall Ragbeer said he lost 1,900 tomato plants and had already started to pick from 400 as well as 15 roots of squash and 150 roots of cucumbers.

He works as a cane-harvester and said he “depend on the farming for a side savings” and had invested over $100,000. Among the other farmers who suffered losses to their cash crops and livestock were Orilall Jagmohan, Doodnauth Chandran, Surajnauth Ramlochan as well as Geenarine Ramdhan who had to find a dry spot in the kitchen to protect his meat-birds.

More in Local News

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

default placeholder

Ferry collides with Supenaam stelling

The ferry,  Sabanto  suffered extensive damage after it collided with the Supenaam Stelling last evening and will be out of service until further notice.

The car, PSS 1236 after it stuck the three victims.

Three hospitalised after driver hits visiting St Lucian scouts

A visiting St. Lucian Cub Scout has been critically injured, while another and his mother escaped with minor injuries after they were struck by a car yesterday afternoon near the Scout Association of Guyana headquarters at Woolford Avenue.

Nafeeza Mohammed

Bush Lot woman accused of trafficking teen for prostitution

A Bush Lot woman was yesterday charged with trafficking a teenaged girl for prostitution. It was alleged that    shop owner Nafeeza Mohammed, of Lot 17 Bush Lot, Essequibo Coast, between April 26 and May 31, in Region One, received, transported and harboured the teen for the purpose of sexual exploitation.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: