Housing ministry repossessing re-allocated house lots

-500 cases in court

The Housing Ministry has embarked on an exercise to repossess house lots from persons who have been re-allocating their lots and so far 500 cases are before the court, Housing Minister Irfaan Ali said on Monday.

He was speaking during a ‘One Stop Shop’ house lot distribution exercise on Monday at the Guyana National Stadium, at Providence, where 800 house lots were up for allocation in the new Herstelling scheme, East Bank Demerara.

Ali, according to the Government Information Agency (GINA), told those gathered that while some of the land has been re-possessed, the remainder will be done when the decision is made at the level of the court.

Beneficiaries uplifting their approval letters (GINA photo)

He also revealed that another area of focus for the ministry is homeowners who provide false information when applying for a house lot. “This will not be tolerated and at present there are 15 cases where persons have removed themselves from the process, since our announcement to prosecute and forfeit their financing,” he was quoted as saying by GINA.

Ali pointed out that despite limited resources, government is working assiduously to provide Guyanese with housing. To this end, GINA said another batch of 400 house lots will be distributed on December 10, while 600 more will be given out in January next year.

The One Stop Shop, it added, is the seventh such exercise for this year, as the Ministry of Housing and Water works to ensure that Guyanese are afforded an opportunity to own their own homes.

“We are still subsidising lands to a large extent…this particular land was  sugar cane lands and as such, much work has been done to bring it up to standard,”  Ali said of the Herstelling lots.

He added that the ministry has embarked on a project to complete asphalt and crusher-run roads linking Mocha Arcadia, Providence and Eccles and also reiterated planned construction of a road linking the East Bank with the East Coast.

Meanwhile, several allottees lauded the hassle free process and were thankful for the opportunity to become homeowners.

“I am extremely happy today…. this opportunity which I receive today, of owning my own home is a major step and I am delighted.

I paid a rent for a number of years, but now I can safely kiss my landlord goodbye,” Marsha Baptiste was reported as saying by GINA.
According to Baptiste, this opportunity was one she awaited for a long time and now that it is finally here, she intends to move swiftly in constructing her home.

Barbara Lalchand and Howard Samaroo also lauded the hassle free process. “I think the process was very good… I feel great today receiving my house lot… the service was very professional and fast and so I must thank the government for ensuring that everyone, regardless of their financial status, can afford a land,” Lalchand said.

Donna Isles also expressed her gratitude after benefitting from the exercise. “I feel very blessed to be the owner of a house lot, most of all because I have three children and they will benefit from this opportunity I am afforded now…,” she said.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Alzarri Joseph called up for Test duty

ST.JOHN’s, Antigua, CMC-Promising Antiguan fast bowler Alzarri Joseph is set to make his Test debut after he was drafted into the West Indies side for the current home series against India.

default placeholder

Caribbean series hopes to crack US market with T20 foray

(Reuters) – Chris Gayle and Shane Watson need no introductions in cricket-playing countries but while they are unlikely to become household names in the U.S.

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

default placeholder

Ferry collides with Supenaam stelling

The ferry,  Sabanto  suffered extensive damage after it collided with the Supenaam Stelling last evening and will be out of service until further notice.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: