If allegations true, soldier being held in breach of army rules – Granger

Opposition Leader, Brigadier (rtd) David Granger, yesterday stated that if Guyana Defence Force (GDF) procedures relating to the punishment of ranks today are anything like those which obtained under his command, the inhumane treatment allegedly being meted out to 21-year-old Akeem Charles is definitely not in accordance with army regulations.

In the December 22 edition of the Stabroek News, it was reported that Charles was being subjected to beating and inhumane conditions in a Camp Ayanganna cell, where he had been held for more that 30 days.

During a conversation yesterday, the former army man made it clear that since nothing has been confirmed or disclaimed by the army on the matter, he is not all informed about the situation; neither was he sure whether or not the situation reported was indeed the case.

However, he did say that if this was indeed the case, then it would constitute a breach of the rules concerning the incarceration of persons under close arrest, and suggested that the current Chief of Staff commission an immediate inquiry into the matter, and correct it, if it is found to be true.

Granger explained that once a rank would have been deemed as having gone Absent Without Leave (AWOL), as sources say Charles was, the requisite punishment to be applied would vary from a fine to dismissal depending on if the person was absent for more than 21 days. He further stated that even if the individual was charged with desertion, the punishment should not amount to abuse.

“There is no regulation which prescribes that a person, if accused of being absent or of being a deserter, should be subjected to” the kind of punishment he has allegedly been subjected to, said Granger.

He further stated that the length of time suggested in the article was inordinate, adding that once held, ranks guilty of the crime in question should be given a trial within 24 hours.

It is alleged that Charles went AWOL to solicit assistance for a back injury he had sustained on course in the GDF after the army said it lacked the requisite funds to tend to his injury. He turned himself in when his information was published.

Sources say that he has been in confinement ever since and that the conditions he is being subjected to are inhumane.

Stabroek News understands that on Thursday December 20, while being escorted to his cell by two MPs, Charles dove into a nearby drain to avoid going back to his cell since the conditions that obtained there became too much for him to bear. It is alleged that a senior soldier and another then proceeded to deal Charles several blows about his body for having done this.

The source started that after being dealt multiple blows about the body, Charles was thrown back into his cell, naked, after which his cell was soaked with water. It is alleged that the young man’s cell was, from that point, doused with water every half hour, presumably to make him as uncomfortable as possible.

Attempts made to solicit a response from the GDF were once again fruitless, and the army is yet to respond to these allegations. Considering the nature of the alleged injustice, Stabroek News also made attempts to contact the Guyana Human Rights Association (GHRA), but was unable to do so.

More in Local News

Bharrat Jagdeo

Jagdeo stands by NY statements

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo last night stood by statements he had made in New York about discrimination against Indo-Guyanese which the APNU+AFC government has described as race-baiting.

City Hall

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo addressing the audience 
 

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

The roof of Nand Persaud International Communications Inc at Tain covered with solar panels

Nand Persaud Company set to unveil huge solar project in Berbice

Local business group Nand Persaud and Company Limited will shortly unveil what is said to be the largest solar energy project in the country to date with 220 kilowatts of energy expected to be generated to power the group’s call centre at Tain, Corentyne.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: