Mournful Christmas for Dameon Belgrave’s family

As some families are making preparations for the holiday season celebrations, the family of Dameon Belgrave, who was killed in October this year, is stilling mourning his loss.

Donna Sulker, his mother, said this time of the year brings back fond memories of her eldest child. She said she feels depressed and frustrated with the relevant authorities for taking so long to charge the three policemen who shot her son.

Belgrave of Middle Street, Pouderoyen, West Bank Demerara, was fatally shot near the White Castle Fish Shop on Hadfield Street, on October 6 by a policeman, a day before his 22nd birthday.

The police had been in hot pursuit of a car and fired on it causing a bullet to hit Belgrave who was in a pre-birthday celebration with friends. The Chambers of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) had sent the Belgrave’s file to the police seeking clarifications on a few issues after Chairman of the Police Complaints Authority, Cecil Kennard, made his comments.

Dameon Belgrave

Regarding the position of her son’s file, Sulker told this newspaper yesterday that “I am getting frustrated with the DPP. Why she taking so long? I don’t know what to say. It seems like they want I go out in the streets and behave bad.”

While her son’s file was with the Police Complaints Authority, Sulker said, she visited Kennard’s office and he had told her that he had sent the file to the DPP and it would only take about two days before she makes her recommendations.

“The DPP saying how she need more evidence but to me they trying to say is not the police. But I heard the police at the station the night the thing happen telling a bigger one on the phone that the police men dem had AK-47 with 30 live rounds,” Sulker said. “After I heard them said that, I said why you all sending them out with 30 rounds like you all send them to kill.”

Sulker also added that if the DPP wants more evidence pertaining to the case she should at least seek to make contact with Belgrave’s friends who were with him on the night of the incident and saw what transpired.

When asked whether she knew the whereabouts of the three policemen accused of the crime the woman said she learnt that they are still in the jurisdiction but not under close arrest. She also said that she was hearing rumours that nothing will come out of the matter.

Christmas for the Belgrave family would be very different this year, Sulker added. She said her family was still deciding who would cook, since Dameon was the person who would normally do so. She said that since her son’s death her family has been terribly distressed.

She said she cries and think about him a lot because she misses her son especially at this time of the year. Sulker also noted that Belgrave’s sister was also affected a lot by his passing and has been “taking it on”.

Sulker stated that she hopes something comes out of the matter and justice is served. She also said that she will be trying her best to make sure that her son’s death does not go in vain.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to Tier Two.

Terrence McLean

Man gets three years for ISIS bomb threat at city bank

Terrence McLean, the man who tried to extort $10 million from a city bank in the name of ISIS by threatening to detonate a bomb he claimed he had on him, was yesterday sentenced to three years in jail for the crime.

default placeholder

Insel gets approval for additional Brazil, Curaçao flights

Guyanese will now be able to access additional flights to Brazil and Curaçao thrice weekly after Cabinet recently granted approval for Insel Air to operate additional flights out of Guyana.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: