ECB President Sheik Ahmad says T20 competition will go on

President of the Essequibo Cricket Board (ECB) Sheik Ahmad has stated unequivocally that the Tony Elite Styles Floodlight two-day Twenty20 tournament scheduled to bowl off today will go ahead despite suggestions that the tournament has not been authorized.

A letter sent to the media yesterday by Cricket Operations Officer of the now disbanded Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) Robin Singh had this to say: “Please be advised that this tournament has not been organized within the framework for approved cricket in accordance with the regulations on approved and disapproved cricket and domestic cricket events of the ICC which came into effect on June 1st, 2009.

Applications for approval of a cricket match or event – outside of what is detailed in the list of approved and pre-approved cricket – must be made in writing to the WICB at least 30 days prior to the start of the event.

The list of approved and pre-approved cricket and a document outlining the responsibility and approval for cricket in the West Indies are available and for viewing and download on the WICB website.

I strongly urge you to seek the approval of the Guyana Cricket Board for this event and ask us to facilitate your request with the WICB, failure to obtain approval of this event will entail grave consequences for participating boards, players and officials.”

In the meantime, Stabroek Sport contacted ECB President Sheik Ahmad for a response to this latest twist in the cricket saga and he said in clear terms that his board is not seeking approval from any GCB to run the Twenty20 tournament.

Sheik Ahmad

“There is no Guyana Cricket Board at the moment as everyone is aware, so I don’t know how we at the ECB have to seek permission from them to host this tournament,” said Ahmad.

He continued: “The Interim Management Committee (IMC) is in charge of cricket in Guyana until we get a new board elected in. Currently in Demerara & Berbice they have various competitions going on, run by the various county associations, so that suggestion that we have to seek permission from a non-existent GCB is ludicrous to me.”

On March 30 at the most recent IMC press conference, the ECB pledged its support to the IMC. They made it clear that since it was the largest shareholder in the Demerara, Essequibo, Berbice (DEB) Essentials Organization Incorporated, that was created by the former GCB officials, they would assist the IMC and government in retrieving the assets from this controversially created private company.

When further asked if the ECB had ever written to the GCB seeking authorization to run this tournament, Ahmad responded in the affirmative, but with a side statement.

“Yes we had written to them in January, but obviously as the whole of Guyana knows and as I said before, there is no GCB anymore. So basically with the IMC in charge, last week Thursday we wrote a letter to IMC head Clive Lloyd informing him about the tournament,” Ahmad explained.

“We are not acknowledging anyone who is purporting to be the GCB.  I want to make that clear. The ECB is at  least a financially strong cricket board and all Mr. Toney is trying to do is to assist to give back to the county in a meaningful way and most certainly it would be a tremendous boost to the cricket here.”

In concluding he said: ”We were hoping also to get a few national players who recently returned from the four-day competition to play in this competition as well, but unfortunately they have been threatened, stating they could be banned from the WICB because this is not approved cricket. But regardless if they participate or not, the tournament will go on.”

The Toney Elite Styles Floodlight Twenty20 tournament will see four knockout matches being played today among the eight  teams, before the two semi-finals and finals tomorrow. There will also  be an exhibition over 10 overs fixture.
The winning team will walk away with a first prize of $250,000.
Fixtures are as follows:
Friday April 13:
North Essequibo vs East Bank Essequibo
Wakenaam vs Central Essequibo
Leguan vs Pomeroon
Bartica vs South Essequibo
Saturday April 14:
1st semi-final: Winner Match 1 vs Winner Match 3
2nd semi-final: Winner Match 2  vs  Winner Match 4
Exhibition 10/10 match: Bacchus Over 40 vs Pomeroon Over 40
Final: Winner semi-final 1 vs Winner semi-final 2

48-hour deadline
Meanwhile, with regards to the 48-hour deadline which is up today, that was given to Attorney General Anil Nandlall and the Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Dr. Frank Anthony to return the assets of the DEB Essentials Organization, this newspaper contacted Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Sport, Alfred King for a comment on behalf of the minister who was unavailable to speak due to his presence in parliament.

King stated, however, that  he could not speak on the  matter or on behalf of the minister since he did not know much about the order.
That court order granted by Justice Dawn Gregory and Justice James Bovell- Drakes in the High Court on April 11 is a perplexing development,  considering that on March 22  the government had issued a 21-day ultimatum to the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) requesting that all the records relating to the failed Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) in the DEB limited liability company be rectified to reflect the interest of Guyana.

Latest in Sports

20160629back29

Women’s singles title up for grabs

The Digicel sponsored Guyana Squash Association’s national championships commence this evening at the Georgetown Club with the women’s singles title up for grabs since last year’s champion Nicolette Fernandes will not be defending her crown.

Ryan Hackett of Chase Academy (white/right) trying to maintain possession of the ball while being challenged by an opposing player during his team’s opening fixture in the Digicel Schools Football Championship at the Ministry of Education ground yesterday.

Goalkeeping blunders aid Vergenoengen Secondary

Vergenoegen Secondary overcame a one goal deficit compliments of poor goalkeeping to defeat Leonora Technical Institute (LTI) 3-1 when the Digicel Schools Football Championship continued yesterday at the Leonora Sports Facility.

20160629cRICKET

Stars set to clash on Caribbean turf in high-octane T20

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC– Nail biting encounters and packed venues are predicted while millions from around the world will be glued to television screens as the curtain rises on the fourth edition of an eagerly anticipated HERO Caribbean Premier league (CPL) today.

default placeholder

No sentiment as Murray beats fellow Brit Broady

LONDON, (Reuters) – Second seed Andy Murray showed no mercy to fellow Britain Liam Broady as he launched his Wimbledon challenge with a straightforward 6-2 6-3 6-4 victory yesterday.

Managing Director of Courts, Clyde de Haas, handing over a cheque worth $500,000 to Race and Programme Manager for Crime and Security at CARICOM, Sherwin Toyne-Stephenson.

Courts on board for CARICOM 10K Road Race

Furniture giant, Courts, will collaborate with the Ministry of Education – Department of Culture, Youth and Sport and the Athletics Association of Guyana to stage the 12th annual CARICOM 10K Road Race on Sunday.

default placeholder

Kuznetsova dumps out sinking Wozniacki

LONDON,  (Reuters) – Russia’s Svetlana Kuznetsova got a late birthday present under Wimbledon’s centre court roof  yesterday with a 7-5 6-4 win over former world number one Caroline Wozniacki, who is projected to drop out of the top 50 with the defeat.

Action in the mixed doubles final between Narayan and Priyanna Ramdhani and Jonathan Mangra and Ambika Ramraj.

Young Ramdhani gets better of his father

As expected Narayan Ramdhani and partner Jonathan Mangra defeated Gokarn Ramdhani and Nicholas Ali to win the men’s doubles final of the Guyana Olympic Association Open badminton tournament which concluded Monday at the National Gymnasium.

default placeholder

Warner Park to host CPL final

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados,  CMC-The finals of this year’s Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) have been awarded to St.Kitts and Nevis, organizers announced yesterday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: