Federation to sue Jack Warner
PORT-OF-SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC-The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) plans to sue its former special adviser, Works Minister Jack Warner, to recover financial accounts pertaining to funds raised during the 2006 World Cup campaign.
The Federation gave the undertaking to the Port of Spain High court on Thursday as it appeared to answer possible contempt charges for failing to comply with an earlier ruling by Justice Devindra Rampersad.
The ruling required the TTFF to deliver its audited financial record of funds raised leading up to the 2006 World Cup.
The promise to sue Warner appears crucial to a longstanding money dispute between the TTFF and the 2006 world cup team.
“They are going to sue Mr (Jack) Warner” players representative Brent Sancho told the media after the hearing.
“They made it clear that Mr. Warner is the one with the accounts and they’re going to have a legal proceeding against Warner to get the accounts. That is the direction they (TTFF) have taken”.
Thirteen members of the 2006 Trinidad and Tobago World Cup squad are suing the TTFF for a share of World Cup revenue.
The players, who said that Warner had offered them a 50 percent share of World Cup revenue, have already won battles at the London-based Sport Dispute Resolution Panel (SDRP) and the Trinidad and Tobago High Court.
“It has always been a lengthy procedure. One thing for sure is that it has taken the best direction that it has taken so far with the Federation now looking to take Mr. Warner to task, suing him to get the accounts, which is a magnificent step. For us, it is a positive move,” Sancho told journalists.
“Obviously time is of some concern, but nevertheless the judicial process is taking its course”.