Hamilton denies any regrets over move to Mercedes

AUSTIN, Texas, (Reuters) – Lewis Hamilton has no regrets over his jump to Mercedes next season, again dismissing comments from McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh that the Englishman was having second thoughts about his move.

In an interview with the official Formula One website (www.formula1.com), Whitmarsh said he believed Hamilton had at times regretted his decision.
“I was a little surprised to hear that, it’s absolutely not the case,” Hamilton told reporters yesterday as he began preparations for Sunday’s U.S. Grand Prix.

“I’ve got a great team, I’ve been with them such a long time so I’m sure everyone has some emotions within the team but I’m still here giving 100 percent for the last two races and of course it’s quite emotional for me.

“But I’m very, very happy with the decision I have made.”
Hamilton will replace retiring seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher at Mercedes next season, ending a long-standing relationship with McLaren, who spotted his talent as a youngster racing go-karts.

Whitmarsh said it would be an emotional farewell with Hamilton, world champion in 2008, after the last race of the season in Brazil later this month but hoped the 27-year-old would one day come to regret his move.

“I hope he thinks today that he’s made an awful mistake and I hope he thinks that next year,” said Whitmarsh. “He’s made that decision and he has to live with that decision,” McLaren, the second most successful team in terms of wins in the history of F1, have won five grands prix this season, including victories from Hamilton in Canada, Hungary and Italy.

Mercedes have won one race, in China this year, since they took over the title-winning Brawn GP team at the end of 2009.

Hamilton will start Sunday’s race at the new Circuit of the Americas as the last driver to win a U.S. Grand Prix with his victory at Indianapolis in 2007.

Formula One makes its return to the United States after a five-year absence hoping to finally establish a permanent presence in a country that has largely ignored the sport.

More in Sports


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Convicted drug trafficker Barry Dataram about to be handed over to local enforcement officials by the Suriname police. Inset is the information page in the fake passport for “David Persaud” that was being used by the fugitive. (Royston Drakes photos)

    Dataram, wife returned to Guyana

  2. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  3. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  4. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  5. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  6. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  7. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

  8. Cops grilling taxi driver after passenger robbed of $6M on seawall

  9. featured

    Diwali holiday on Oct 29, motorcade set for same day

Recommended For You