Milo football contest for schools

By Emmerson Campbell

In keeping with its vision to develop the sport of football at the grass roots level, Petra Organization, has once again collaborated with a corporate entity to stage a schools tournament.

On the heels of a successful primary school tournament (Courts Pee Wee) which culminated last month, the organization and Beepats through its Nestle Milo brand yesterday in the company’s Regent Street boardroom launched the inaugural Milo Schools under 20 Football Tournament.
The tournament which will kick off on January 12 at the Ministry of Education ground (Softball ground)  will see 24 city secondary school teams vying for the $200,000 bragging rights and the winner’s trophy.

During the launch yesterday, Petra’s Co Director, Troy Mendonca, gave a brief overview of the tournament and also thanked Beepats for their sponsorship.

“Once again it’s an honour for the Petra Organization to team up with a company in this case, M. Beepat through their international brand Nestle Milo, to organize another tournament” said Mendonca, who is one of the organizers of the  Guinness Greatest of the Streets Tournament.
“I promised before, our main aim is to resuscitate football at the junior level and this is another indication of our willingness to get involved”.

According to Mendonca, the 24 schools will be divided into six groups of four and the top 16 teams will advance to the knockout stage. He also intimated that the finals could be played at the Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) ground.

Beepats Brand Manager for Nestle, Selwyn Bobb, (second from right) hands over the sponsorship cheque to Petra Organization Co Director, Troy Mendonca as Nicholas Fraser (extreme left) and Petra’s other Co Director, Marlan Cole look on. (Orlando Charles photo)

“The tournament will be played on a round robin knockout basis with six groups of four.  At the group stage, teams will compete against each other and the first and second from each group along with the best four- third place teams will go through to the group of 16 knockout stage” the organizers said.

The tournament is expected to last 20 days with the round robin stages being played on Saturdays and Sundays. Special awards will also go to the MVP, player with the most goals, best goalkeeper, best coach and most supportive parent.

Mendonca also revealed that the second, third and fourth place teams, will pocket $100,000, $50,000 and $25,000 and trophies respectively with the money going towards the purchasing of needed equipment for a project for the school.

Beepat’s Brand Manager for Nestle, Selwyn Bobb mentioned that the tournament’s budget will amount to close to three million dollars but maintained that his company’s sponsorship will “go a far way” because of the benefits it will garner.

“We are convinced that our sponsorship will go a far way” said Bobb. “Not only because we are targeting our school age consumers but as an incentive for us, Milo will help to promote health and aid in the well- being of the said consumers”.

“This year’s sponsorship is nothing new as we have teamed up to host similar tournaments with the Petra Organization for the past three years consecutively but we have opted to become involved with the schools because the youths are our future and sponsorship through school programmes will greatly aid in their development, we pledge our support and we look forward to sponsoring similar tournaments”.

Head of the Physical Education Department of the Ministry of Education, Nicholas Fraser, endorsed the tournament which got the green light since October and intimated that he is looking forward to witnessing keen, competitive games.

The teams competing for the top honours are: Ascension Secondary, New Campbellville Secondary, Richard Ishmael Secondary, Tutorial Secondary, Charlestown Secondary, Queen’s College, Tucville Secondary, St Stanislaus College, Guyana Education Trust College, Brickdam Secondary, Cummings Lodge Secondary, East Ruimveldt Secondary, North Georgetown Secondary, St George’s Secondary, St John’s College, Central High School, Houston Secondary, Bishop’s High School, South Ruimveldt Secondary, Lodge Secondary, Christ Church  Secondary, Queenstown Secondary, St Joseph’s High and North Ruimveldt Secondary.

More in Sports

The victorious Trinidad and Tobago women’s T20 side celebrate their T20 triumph.

Trinidad captures WICB women’s T20 title

Anisa Mohammed produced another sterling all-round performance which allowed Trinidad and Tobago to hoist the 2016 West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Regional T20 title after beating Jamaica by two wickets in Monday night’s final played at the Providence National Stadium.

Garfield Wiltshire

Squash players performed “beyond expectations”

Manager of the Guyana Junior Squash Team to the recent Caribbean Junior Squash Championships in the Cayman Islands Garfield Wiltshire said the recent performance of securing Guyana’s 12th overall Team Title was outstanding and that the players performed beyond expectations.

Clinton Urling, Proprietor of German’s Restaurant hands over the sponsorship cheque to Kanimas skipper Nia Gonsalves in the presence of Guyana Baseball League (GBL) President Robin Singh.

German’s Restaurant sponsors baseball team

German’s Restaurant became the latest sponsors of the Guyana Under-21Women’s Baseball team which is preparing to make history come next month when they visit Halifax, Canada to play in an invitational tournament from August 4-8.

default placeholder

Jetty Gunners crowned champs after edging Sparta Boss

Jetty Gunners were crowned the second annual `Ballers in the Summer Street Football Champions’ after edging Sparta Boss 1-0 via penalty kicks in the final on Saturday at the Pouderoyen Tarmac.

Dilma Rousseff

Brazil’s Rousseff turns down Olympic opening invite -aide

BRASILIA, (Reuters) – Brazil’s suspended President Dilma Rousseff has decided not to attend the torch ceremony opening the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, an aide said yesterday, one day after she said in an interview she would not play second fiddle to interim President Michel Temer.

Thomas Bach

IOC’s Bach is part of doping problem, says discus champion Harting

(Reuters) – Germany’s Olympic discus champion Robert Harting has launched a stinging attack on International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach, describing him as part of the problem in the fight against doping.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: