Nadal to miss Australian Open due to illness

MADRID,  (Reuters) – French Open champion Rafa Nadal has been forced to withdraw from next month’s Australian Open because of a stomach virus that has disrupted his recovery from a long-term knee injury, the world number four said on Friday.

“My knee is much better and the rehabilitation process has gone well as predicted by the doctors, but this virus didn’t allow me to practise this past week,” the Spaniard, who has also pulled out of the Qatar Open in Doha, said in a statement.

“Therefore I am sorry to announce that I will not play in Doha and the Australian Open, as we had initially scheduled.”

Nadal was due to make his competitive comeback after the knee injury sidelined him for six months at this week’s Mubadala World Tennis Championship, an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi that is not part of the ATP Tour.

The 26-year-old won the event in 2010 and 2011 but withdrew on Dec. 25 citing the stomach virus.

He has not played since June when he suffered a shock defeat in the second round of Wimbledon to Czech Lukas Rosol.

He was subsequently diagnosed with a partial tear of the patella tendon and inflammation in his left knee and was unable to defend his Olympic title at the London Games.

The 11-times grand slam singles champion also missed the U.S. Open and the season-ending World Tour championships before returning to the practice court on November 20.

At last year’s Australian Open, Nadal was runner-up to Novak Djokovic after an epic five-set final that lasted almost six hours. It was the longest match at the event and the longest men’s grand slam singles final on record.

“It is completely understandable and we really feel disappointed for him,” Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley said on the event’s website (www.australianopen.com).

“But without any match practice and without sufficient lead up time on the practice court, it makes it virtually impossible for him to get his body ready,” Tiley added.

“We just hope he gets better quickly and we see him back on the tour as soon as possible. Tennis fans across the world have been missing him. “I am confident we will see him back on the tour soon and back in Australia for 2014.”

 

More in Sports

The victorious Trinidad and Tobago women’s T20 side celebrate their T20 triumph.

Trinidad captures WICB women’s T20 title

Anisa Mohammed produced another sterling all-round performance which allowed Trinidad and Tobago to hoist the 2016 West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Regional T20 title after beating Jamaica by two wickets in Monday night’s final played at the Providence National Stadium.

Garfield Wiltshire

Squash players performed “beyond expectations”

Manager of the Guyana Junior Squash Team to the recent Caribbean Junior Squash Championships in the Cayman Islands Garfield Wiltshire said the recent performance of securing Guyana’s 12th overall Team Title was outstanding and that the players performed beyond expectations.

Clinton Urling, Proprietor of German’s Restaurant hands over the sponsorship cheque to Kanimas skipper Nia Gonsalves in the presence of Guyana Baseball League (GBL) President Robin Singh.

German’s Restaurant sponsors baseball team

German’s Restaurant became the latest sponsors of the Guyana Under-21Women’s Baseball team which is preparing to make history come next month when they visit Halifax, Canada to play in an invitational tournament from August 4-8.

default placeholder

Jetty Gunners crowned champs after edging Sparta Boss

Jetty Gunners were crowned the second annual `Ballers in the Summer Street Football Champions’ after edging Sparta Boss 1-0 via penalty kicks in the final on Saturday at the Pouderoyen Tarmac.

Dilma Rousseff

Brazil’s Rousseff turns down Olympic opening invite -aide

BRASILIA, (Reuters) – Brazil’s suspended President Dilma Rousseff has decided not to attend the torch ceremony opening the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, an aide said yesterday, one day after she said in an interview she would not play second fiddle to interim President Michel Temer.

Thomas Bach

IOC’s Bach is part of doping problem, says discus champion Harting

(Reuters) – Germany’s Olympic discus champion Robert Harting has launched a stinging attack on International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach, describing him as part of the problem in the fight against doping.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: