New approach needed on domestic violence – Rohee

Amid dozens of domestic violence murders in recent years, Home Affairs Minister Clement Rohee on Monday said that a “new preventative and pro-active approach” is required on this scourge and child abuse.

His statement came amid a clutch of new security initiatives. Rohee told his audience at the police training facility at Eve Leary that his ministry is of the view that “an expanded physical presence on the ground for the purpose of information gathering and prevention could go a far way in preventing and reducing Domestic Violence and Child Abuse”.

He outlined a multi-pronged approach: the recruitment of larger numbers of social workers who would be at an appropriate point in each station/magisterial district or Neighbourhood Democratic Council and  hiking the number of neighbourhood police who patrol neighbourhoods on a 24-hour basis.

He said that there was therefore a need to recruit more neighbourhood police and that advertisements will soon be placed in the media inviting persons to apply. In this respect, Cabinet has approved the recruiting of 100 neighbourhood police ranks. He added that the ministry will work closely with the Ministry of Human Services on the “possible recruitment of an increased number of social workers”.

For years, the government has been criticized for not taking stronger measures on domestic violence. The Ministry of Human Services has spearheaded several initiatives against domestic violence. This included the establishing of white zones for victims of violence.


More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Convicted drug trafficker Barry Dataram about to be handed over to local enforcement officials by the Suriname police. Inset is the information page in the fake passport for “David Persaud” that was being used by the fugitive. (Royston Drakes photos)

    Dataram, wife returned to Guyana

  2. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  3. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  4. Ameer Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  5. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  6. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

  7. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  8. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  9. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

Recommended For You