Suspect charged over $4M Robb St home invasion

One of the two men who police say was involved in the $4M Robb Street armed robbery was yesterday remanded to prison.

Gregory Howes, 41, of 41 Russell Street, Charlestown, Georgetown, was slapped with three robbery-under-arms charges when he was arraigned at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

Gregory Howes
Gregory Howes

It is alleged that on December 29, 2012, at Robb Street, Georgetown, Howes, being armed with a gun, robbed Maylene Hussain, Orlene Hussain and Jacqueline Hussain of a quantity of jewellery, wristwatches, a cell phone and cash, all totalling $4,034,000.

Howes pleaded not guilty to the charges when they were read to him by Magistrate Sueanna Lovell before whom he appeared.

The prosecution told the court that Howes’ accomplice managed to escape and has not been located.

Attorney Adrian Thompson, who appeared for Howes, made a desperate bid to secure his client’s pre-trial liberty. He told the court that his client was elsewhere at the time of the robbery—a fact, he said, a witness can substantiate. However, he lamented that even though the witness has indicated a willingness to give the police a statement to this effect, the police have ignored his client’s alibi.

Thompson, in challenging the strength of the case against his client, also noted that Howes was not placed on an identification (ID) parade. As a result, he questioned the credibility of the virtual complainants’ identification of his client.

The lawyer asserted that his client is not personally known to the complainants, which could taint a positive identification on their part.

He further added that according to his instructions, there were three men involved in the robbery and this could also militate against a positive identification of Howes.

Thompson requested reasonable bail, saying that his client had a fixed address, posed no risk of flight and had been cooperating with police investigations.

He added that it is not the first time that Howes was appearing before the courts, but quickly pointed out that he has no convictions and that he always attended court in those previous matters whenever required to do so. If granted bail, he assured, Howes would also return to court to face trial in the instant charges levelled against him.

Additionally, Thompson questioned the merit of the prosecutions’ case since the officer who swore to the information did not have his statements in the case file.

When the matter was initially called, the officer swearing to the information did not have his statements in the file.

This caused the magistrate to stand the matter down for some time to have the officer properly prepare the file before swearing to the information.

The magistrate subsequently reprimanded the policeman about his tardiness and by extension she admonished the prosecution about the importance of the job they are called to do in dispensing justice.

Nevertheless, the prosecution contested counsel’s bail application. Prosecutor Alexis David-Hossannah refuted Thompson’s contention that the complainants could not make a positive identification because the defendant was not placed on an ID parade and was not personally known to them.

She told the court that while she did not want to delve into the evidence of the case as yet, the complainants were able to properly see the defendant’s face while he was in their house, as nothing concealed his identity.

She said too that on December 30, 2012 one of the three complainants again positively identified the accused at a game shop, after which she immediately contacted the police, who later arrested and charged Howes.

The prosecution also argued that the fact that Howes’ alleged accomplice remains at large created an opportunity for Howes, if granted bail, to make contact with him, which could possibly lead to witness-tampering and result in him not returning to court to face trial.

David-Hossannah also asked the court also to take into consideration the value of the alleged stolen items as well as the seriousness and prevalence of the offence.

After listening to the submissions on both sides, the magistrate acceded to the prosecutions’ request and Howes was informed that he would be remanded to prison.

The matter will continue on January 9.

The Robb Street family was preparing to travel to Berbice on the night of December 29 when they were confronted by two men who robbed them of $4M in cash, jewellery and other articles.

Reports are that the men, who were armed with a gun, barged into the family’s home around 7:30 pm demanding money. During the ordeal, one of the occupants of the house managed to escape and raised an alarm, after which the bandits escaped and entered a car on Alexander Street which then sped off.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Oil drilling likely in five years

Country Manager of Exxon Mobil Corporation, Jeff Simons today reaffirmed that the company will not start the actual extraction of oil from its huge offshore well for another five years.

default placeholder

Alzarri Joseph called up for Test duty

ST.JOHN’s, Antigua, CMC-Promising Antiguan fast bowler Alzarri Joseph is set to make his Test debut after he was drafted into the West Indies side for the current home series against India.

default placeholder

Caribbean series hopes to crack US market with T20 foray

(Reuters) – Chris Gayle and Shane Watson need no introductions in cricket-playing countries but while they are unlikely to become household names in the U.S.

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: