Detention extended for Curacao gold heist accused

The six persons implicated in the snatching of US$11.5 million worth of gold bars from a Guyana-registered cargo vessel in Curacao almost two months ago must now spend 60 days behind bars pending an ongoing probe on the Dutch Caribbean Island.

“The detention of the suspects today confirmed by the RC was prolonged for a maximum period of 60 days. Following is the renewal detention for up to 30 days and the additional extension detention by a maximum of 30 days”, a report in the Curacao Chronicle yesterday stated.

On December 27, 2012, the police, on behalf of the Public Prosecutor (OM), arrested seven persons in connection with this case…Suspects in this case are: G.R. (43), A. D. 46), M.P.B. (45), J.S. (44), L. S. (28) R. P. and (46). The prosecution did not rule out the possibility of more arrests.

Curacao police spokesperson Reggie Huggins had told Stabroek News that the  six suspects, one from Bonaire, two from Venezuela and the others from Curacao,  will remain in the custody of  police for the daring $2.3 Billion heist of gold bars. He also stated that a quantity of gold had been confiscated during the operation which led to their arrests. He had also explained that the six can remain in custody for up to 56 days before charges are laid or they are released and if Police show reason why they should be held longer this can also be done.

The crew of the vessel, Summer Bliss, has not departed Curacao. When questioned why, Huggins had told Stabroek News that the crewmembers were not being held by the police and he did not know why they have not yet left the island. The police there would not release the names of the crewmembers, since they stated that the investigation was a sensitive one. However, a crew member who gave his name as Raymond Emmanuel had reportedly told AP that the crew left Guyana on November 26, bound for Curacao.

The same newspaper on Tuesday reported Public Relations Officer of the Public Prosecutor‘s office in Curacao Norman Serphos reaffirming what Huggins had said “We did not confiscate this boat. If the crew wants to leave, they can do so,” he said.

More in Local News

Bisham Kuppen

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

default placeholder

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

The roof of Nand Persaud International Communications Inc at Tain covered with solar panels

Nand Persaud Company set to unveil huge solar project in Berbice

Local business group Nand Persaud and Company Limited will shortly unveil what is said to be the largest solar energy project in the country to date with 220 kilowatts of energy expected to be generated to power the group’s call centre at Tain, Corentyne.

default placeholder

Probe launched into maternity death

An investigation has been launched into the death of a Matthews Ridge woman who succumbed one week after giving birth via caesarean section (C-section) at the Georgetown Public Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has said.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: