Success murder accused not guilty, jury finds

Murder accused Arif Mohammed was yesterday found not guilty by a jury in the High Court—a day after his father was acquitted of the same charge.

It took just two hours of deliberation for the 12-member jury to return the unanimous verdict of not guilty against Mohammed. He ran out of the court immediately after Justice Navindra Singh told him he was free to go. Justice Singh also told him that he believes that he is a lucky man and hoped he has a chance to live a good life.

Latiff and Arif Mohammed were on trial for the murder of Jairam Balgobin, who they allegedly killed on March 4, 2008, at Success, East Coast Demerara.

Arif Mohammed
Arif Mohammed
Latiff Mohammed
Latiff Mohammed

On Thursday, Latiff Mohammed was set free after Justice Singh upheld a no-case submission made by defence counsel Peter Hugh. Arif had led his defence to the court on Thursday through an unsworn statement, in which he claimed that he is innocent of the crime. Prosecutor Konyo Thompson, in association with Dhanika Singh, had presented two witnesses to the court, who claimed that Arif had told them that he had just “f#@*-up” a man on the day of the murder.

They had also claimed that they saw him with blood on his shirt and with his hand cut.

But Arif, in his statement to the court, said that his hands were cut after he hit a post with a glass and he also told some of the witness the same story when they asked him about his hands.

The police investigators who had testified in the trial had admitted under cross-examination that the only evidence that linked the accused to the crime was what other people had said that the accused told them, and which was subsequently denied by the accused.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Crane man shot after chopping wife, child to death

A man this morning chopped his wife and two-year-old child to death at Crane, West Coast Demerara and wounded his mother.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: