Duo charged over $1.7M garage break-ins

-accused didn’t know he was transporting stolen items, lawyer says

Two men were remanded to prison on Monday by Magistrate Judy Latchman, after they were charged with breaking and entering popular hangout The Garage twice, carting off over $1.7M in items in the process.

Jointly charged are Shemroy Gomes, Guy Meryl and Raymond Skeete, who are alleged to have broken into the restaurant and bar owned by Estwick Northe on December 17, 2012, and to have stolen a generator, a microwave, a blender, a quantity of chowmein and a number of other items valued at $500,000 in total.

The other charge against the men is that on January 18, they again broke and entered the business place and stole three flat screen televisions, a DVR recorder along with a number of other items, valued at $1,220,000.

Gomes, 32, and Meryl, 47, pleaded not guilty to both charges when they were read to them. Skeete was not present in court.

Gomes’ attorney told the court that his client posed no risk of flight since he had an address at 59 BB Eccles, East Bank Demerara and had no pending or previous matters before the court and had been assisting the police with investigations.

He stated that his client owns a vehicle which he privately rents and on the day in question he was driving along Sheriff Street in his vehicle when two persons stopped him and asked him for a drop. He said that his client recognised the individuals from Albouystown and took them and the alleged stolen articles to a house in Albouystown.

Counsel further told the court that when the police came to his client and told him that he was involved in a crime and related the facts of the matter to him, he took the officers to the house where he dropped off the two men.

Meryl, who was unrepresented by counsel, informed the court that he resides at Albouystown and that he is a caretaker.

Police prosecutor Vishnu Hunt objected to bail due to the seriousness of the offences. The presiding magistrate remanded Gomes and Meryl to prison and ordered that Skeete be summoned to attend court.

The matters will be called again on February 22, in Court 10.

More in Local News

Shane Dowrich

Dowrich shines but Windies battling to avoid defeat

NORTH SOUND, Antigua,  CMC – Wicketkeeper Shane Dowrich struck his second half-century in only his third Test but West Indies were staring at a possible innings defeat after being forced to follow-on by India, on the second day of the opening Test here Saturday.

default placeholder

Suspect confessed to murder of Herstelling manager – Police

The Guyana Police Force today said that the suspect in the murder of Herstelling, East Bank Demerara, resident Terry Lackhan has confessed.

Indrawattie Chandradeo and her two remaining sons and her only daughter in tears at their home yesterday

Two men, teen boy found shot to death at Mibicuri Creek

By Bebi Oosman   The bodies of two men and a teenage boy, bearing gunshot wounds, were discovered yesterday at Mibicuri Creek, Black Bush Polder and police had one person in custody up to late last night facing questions about their shocking deaths.

Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson and contractors checking out the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) booth at the procurement symposium for new entrant contractors, which was held at the Arthur Chung Convention Centre yesterday. (Minister of Public Infrastructure photo)

Patterson underlines need for transparency in public procurement

Speaking at a symposium for new and existing contractors, Minister of Public Infrastructure (MPI) David Patterson yesterday stressed the need for transparency in the huge public procurement sector and added that distrust in the system has to be dispelled.

default placeholder

Granger says evidence of dereliction needed for Lawrence’s removal

Minister of Social Protection Volda Lawrence would be removed from office once evidence is presented supporting her dereliction of duty, according to President David Granger, who has lauded her for her work so far.

Dr Madhu Singh (at right) with the team of doctors during the press conference

Dr. Balwant Singh’s Hospital saves heart patient given 48 hours to live

Dr Balwant Singh’s Hospital Inc recently performed its first ever pericardiectomy on a 27-year-old patient who had been given 48 hours to live while hospitalised at another institution.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.



Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: