Man charged in assault on girlfriend after accusing her of stealing phone

A man was on Monday charged with assaulting his ex-girlfriend, who he accused of a BlackBerry phone from him.

Dexter Holder, 42, was released on $80,000 bail when he appeared before Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

It was alleged that on January 15, at Demico House, Holder assaulted Shemaine Stanislaus so as to cause her actual bodily harm. Holder, who resides at Tuschen, East Bank Essequibo, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

On the same day, it is alleged that at Demico, Stanislaus, 26, stole a BlackBerry Curve, valued $55,000, form Holder.

Stanislaus, who resides at Charlestown, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Attorney James Bond, who represented Stanislaus, explained that his client was in abusive relationship with Holder and ended it on the day in question. He added that she refused to return the cellular phone that he bought for her as a gift.

He further stated that Holder had beaten his client publicly and was bailed on the same day for the attack.  The lawyer also claimed that during the beating, his client lost the cellular phone.

The prosecution told the court that the medical certificate shows abrasions to Stanislaus’ left ear, bleeding to her mouth and a swollen eye. The prosecutor had no objection to her being granted her pre-trial liberty, but asked that the couple stay away from each other. Stanislaus was subsequently informed that she was released on self-bail and ordered to stay away from Holder.

Attorney George Thomas, meanwhile, represented Holder and stated that he has a fixed residence, no pending court matter and posed no flight risk. As a result, the magistrate granted him bail in the sum of $80,000.

Both matters will continue on February 22.

More in Local News

default placeholder

India enforces follow on, Dowrich hits 57 not out

NORTH SOUND, Antigua, CMC – India have enforced the follow-on after dismissing West Indies for 243 in their first innings, about 35 minutes before the scheduled close on the third day of the opening Test at the Vivian Richards Cricket Stadium here Saturday.

default placeholder

Suspect confessed to murder of Herstelling manager – Police

The Guyana Police Force today said that the suspect in the murder of Herstelling, East Bank Demerara, resident Terry Lackhan has confessed.

Indrawattie Chandradeo and her two remaining sons and her only daughter in tears at their home yesterday

Two men, teen boy found shot to death at Mibicuri Creek

By Bebi Oosman   The bodies of two men and a teenage boy, bearing gunshot wounds, were discovered yesterday at Mibicuri Creek, Black Bush Polder and police had one person in custody up to late last night facing questions about their shocking deaths.

Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson and contractors checking out the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) booth at the procurement symposium for new entrant contractors, which was held at the Arthur Chung Convention Centre yesterday. (Minister of Public Infrastructure photo)

Patterson underlines need for transparency in public procurement

Speaking at a symposium for new and existing contractors, Minister of Public Infrastructure (MPI) David Patterson yesterday stressed the need for transparency in the huge public procurement sector and added that distrust in the system has to be dispelled.

default placeholder

Granger says evidence of dereliction needed for Lawrence’s removal

Minister of Social Protection Volda Lawrence would be removed from office once evidence is presented supporting her dereliction of duty, according to President David Granger, who has lauded her for her work so far.

Dr Madhu Singh (at right) with the team of doctors during the press conference

Dr. Balwant Singh’s Hospital saves heart patient given 48 hours to live

Dr Balwant Singh’s Hospital Inc recently performed its first ever pericardiectomy on a 27-year-old patient who had been given 48 hours to live while hospitalised at another institution.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.



Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: