Lusignan massacre trauma remains

Five years on, physical wounds have healed for the survivors of the 2008 Lusignan Massacre but the memories remain and while some have forgiven the criminals who attacked the community that January night, it is not so easy for others.

Clarence Thomas, 48, his 12-year-old daughter, Vanessa Thomas and his son, Ron Thomas; Mohandai Gourdat, 32, and her two sons, four-year-old Seegobind Harrilall and ten-year-old Seegopaul Harrilall; 22-year-old Shazam Mohamed; 55-year-old Shaleem Baksh; Seecharran Rooplall, 56, his wife, Dhanrajie Ramsingh, 52, and their 11-year-old daughter, Raywattie Ramsingh were murdered during the early hours of January 26, 2008 when a gang of gunmen targeted five homes in Tract ‘A’ Lusignan Pasture shooting indiscriminately.

Howard Thomas shows his scars
Howard Thomas shows his scars

Last Friday, the dead were remembered in a moving ceremony organized by the Indian Arrival Committee (IAC). There was an outpouring of grief by all those who spoke on stage and after the formal event.

Gomattie Thomas
Gomattie Thomas

Prime Minister Samuel Hinds, Minister in the Ministry of Finance Juan Edghill and Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment Robert Persaud represented government. Opposition Leader David Granger was represented by Region Four Chairman Clement Corlette but he did not speak at the event. The government officials had their say, theorizing about the motive behind the assault and praising Guyanese for not allowing tensions to boil over as a result of the massacre of the five children and six adults.

Speaking calmly and wearing a warm smile, Gomattie Thomas who lost her husband, a son and her only daughter – Clarence Thomas, 48, Ron Thomas, 11 and Vanessa Thomas- told Stabroek News that she has forgiven the killers although the memory of both the killing and her loved ones remain fresh.  “You have to forgive, God says you forgive but you don’t forget. It is because of Jesus I can smile today. Sometimes the pain comes over me but I try to control it and call upon God and God gives me the strength to smile again”, Thomas said.

She explained that her Christian faith has helped her and by extension her sons to move on since the tragedy. An ardent member of the Lusignan Assemblies of God Church, she said that she was grateful to have the support of members when times get difficult and there is an outpouring of memories of her children and husband. She admitted that while she always wears a smile there are times when the pain is just too much. “Sometimes people see me smiling but they don’t know the pains I go though. Some days I cry but I thank God for bringing me through these five years”, she said.
Addressing attendees earlier, Thomas reflected on the gruesome discovery of her slain family members and her personal healing. “…I could remember seeing my children one of them his guts come out my husband and my daughter …But God has given me the strength…” she said.

Her son Roberto Thomas, now 10 years old, was shot to his abdomen and had been hospitalized for a long period with many doubting his recovery. Today the introverted 10-year-old chooses not to speak of the event but his older brother says that he is still traumatized.

Attendees at the service
Attendees at the service

Another brother, Howard Thomas, then 19-years-old, told this newspaper that five years after his physical wounds have healed, he is still tormented by the killings so much so that he has left home to live and work in the interior. He said that unlike his mother, and although he shares her Christian beliefs, he has not forgiven the killers and doubts he ever will. “That is her, she is like that…How can you forgive someone who killed your family? How? I can’t, I just can’t. I ain’t there yet and I ain’t think that coming soon,” he said as he shook his head.

“I don’t really think about it (the incident) and try to occupy my time working so I forget. I stay away far from home. But every time I look at the scars I remember and that is not something I could forgive anyone for. They kill out my family … I pray a lot that I come there but honestly I’m not there yet,” he added.

Howard Thomas spends most of his time away from home as he now works in mining in the interior. Seven months ago the 24-year-old had his first child, a son, to whom he plans to tell stories of the time spent with his grandfather Clarence, aunt Vanessa and uncle Ron before their lives were so violently snuffed out.

More in Local News

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

default placeholder

Ferry collides with Supenaam stelling

The ferry,  Sabanto  suffered extensive damage after it collided with the Supenaam Stelling last evening and will be out of service until further notice.

Darnell Matthew

Three hospitalised after driver hits visiting St Lucian scouts

A visiting St. Lucian Cub Scout has been critically injured, while another and his mother escaped with minor injuries after they were struck by a car yesterday afternoon near the Scout Association of Guyana headquarters at Woolford Avenue.

Nafeeza Mohammed

Bush Lot woman accused of trafficking teen for prostitution

A Bush Lot woman was yesterday charged with trafficking a teenaged girl for prostitution. It was alleged that    shop owner Nafeeza Mohammed, of Lot 17 Bush Lot, Essequibo Coast, between April 26 and May 31, in Region One, received, transported and harboured the teen for the purpose of sexual exploitation.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: