Man remanded over allegedly abusing, stalking estranged wife

A man accused of assaulting and stalking his estranged wife was yesterday remanded to prison, when he appeared before Magistrate Judy Latchman at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

The allegation before Saywack Nauth Dasrath, 36, is that on January 22 at Brickdam and Cornhill streets he unlawfully assaulted Demi Hepplewaithe.

Dasrath, who was unrepresented by counsel, pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to him.

Police Prosecutor Vishnu Hunt objected to bail stating that the defendant was previously charged and convicted by the same court of a similar offence committed against Hepplewaithe.

Hunt further went on to say that the court had made an order under the Domestic Violence Act against the defendant and he was in breach of the act.

Hepplewaithe, who had retained attorney Paul Fung-a-Fat, when given a chance to speak, told the court that the man continues to harass her and her family on a daily basis.  She said she is afraid to walk on the streets and has arranged for a taxi to pick her up because she is afraid he might kill her. She said the man would call her landline phone and make death threats to her.

She said she received over 100 phone calls from the man and this forced her to change all her numbers.

The woman further went on to say that the accused would go to her home with pictures that had blood on them and with flowers.

Dasrath denied all of the woman’s allegations and told the court that she is his wife.

Hepplewaithe however informed the court that she had filed for divorce and that the papers had been served to him. The accused told the court that he was never at the virtual complainant’s home.

The woman rebutted that he was lying and said that because of his harassment she had installed security cameras on her home.

Dasrath said that the VC and her mother would go to his home and harass his mother.

Hepplewaithe then told the court that his mother was not in the country, so there was no way she could have harassed her.

The man then said that when he was at the police station he was told that he had an option to pay $20,000 or spend 6 months in prison. He said that he paid the money.

Magistrate Latchman, after listening to both sides, refused to grant Dasrath bail. He will make his next court appearance on February 26.

More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Convicted drug trafficker Barry Dataram about to be handed over to local enforcement officials by the Suriname police. Inset is the information page in the fake passport for “David Persaud” that was being used by the fugitive. (Royston Drakes photos)

    Dataram, wife returned to Guyana

  2. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  3. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  4. Ameer Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  5. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  6. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

  7. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  8. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  9. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

Recommended For You