Delta still to make exit official

- says flights from May not confirmed

Delta Airlines yesterday stopped short of confirming that it is pulling its services from Guyana, saying only that flights from May of this year are not confirmed.

“Delta Airlines has not made an official announcement with regard to the Guyana/JFK route… we have not confirmed any flights as of May of 2013,” Sara Lora,  Manager of Communications for Latin America and the Caribbean yesterday told Stabroek News
.
A United States-based customer representative had told Stabroek News on Sunday that “As of right now, we are pulling our service from Georgetown, Guyana.”

The disclosure came after customers attempting to book flights on Delta for later this year encountered problems having their bookings taken.

Minister of Transport Robeson Benn’s terse remarks when contacted about the situation yesterday were “No update.”

On Sunday, Minister of Tourism Irfaan Ali had told Stabroek News that government was not officially notified. “We have not been officially notified… we are arranging a high-level meeting with Delta to discuss this and to work out a way forward,” Ali had said.

Questioned if the airline’s officials and Guyana’s government were in discussion about the move, Lora said that she could not reply. “I can’t comment because we haven’t made an official statement,” she explained. She said that as soon as there was a definitive decision, she would make contact with Stabroek News.

Ali had explained that government’s present focus is getting enough flights to accommodate persons wanting to travel to Guyana as at last year there was a reduced capacity of 28%, with REDjet and EZjet leaving.

Efforts to contact him yesterday proved futile.

Stabroek News visited the Delta Airlines’ Head Office in Carmichael Street yesterday and the local General Manager, when asked about business during the day, stated that it was normal and that persons came in to confirm and check on their current flights. While Stabroek News sat in wait, a customer questioned the reason for Delta’s decision to pullout and was told that a reason had not yet been given.

Two customers who had earlier visited the office told this newspaper that the decision did not impact them “one way or the other,” since their tickets were purchased at a New York Travel Agency for later in the year.

“The Delta service isn’t impressive anyway. We were just wondering what would happen to our money,” one of the women said.

A representative of the airline informed that persons who had bookings would be given full refunds.

Delta has been running direct flights from Guyana to New York Since 2008. The same service is now also being offered by Caribbean Airlines, which was granted Flag Carrier Status in November last year.

More in Local News

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

default placeholder

Norway team ‘horrified’ at bauxite mining in pilot village Muritaro

A private bauxite mining operation in the Amerindian community of Muritaro on the Demerara River, discovered by members of a “horrified” team from Norway, was shut down by the Ministry of Natural Resources late last year, since the community was one identified to benefit from the Guyana-Norway forest protection scheme.

default placeholder

New candidate identified to head Bid Protest Committee

Attorney at Law Joann Bond will now head the recently-constituted Bid Protest Committee (BPC) established under the Procurement Act, well-placed sources say.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: