No further word on offshore block until after March – Anadarko

Anadarko Petroleum Corporation Inc says its next announcement of its future plans for the Roraima Block offshore Guyana will likely come after March next year when it discusses its 2014 capital budget.

The US petroleum giant had its laid out programme of exploration for offshore Guyana for 2013 abruptly halted on October 10, when a corvette from the Venezuelan Navy intercepted the seismic exploring vessel, MV Teknik Perdana and directed it to steam towards the Venezuelan island of Margarita. The MV Teknik Perdana was indirectly under contract with Anadarko Petroleum Corporation to explore the Roraima Block with a view to determining whether commercial quantities of hydrocarbon existed.

According to one of the company’s corporate reports for 2013, it  had planned 2D Seismic surveys of the Roraima Block for 2013. It said too that Guyana had proven oil producing areas in which multiple play types had been identified.

John Christiansen, Director, External Communications Anadarko Petroleum Corporation told this newspaper last week that the company is continuing to work with the Government with regards to future plans and activities.

“We continue to work with the Government of Guyana, as this is a sovereign issue between it and Venezuela,” he said. “We completed our planned activity for 2013, and will likely discuss our future plans when we announce our 2014 capital budget in March of next year,” Christiansen said in an email to this newspaper recently.

Minister of Foreign Affairs Carolyn Rodrigues-Birkett had reported that exploration activities by Anadarko were not likely to continue due to the ongoing discussions aimed at determining the steps necessary to bring a resolution to the ongoing border controversy.

And a source from within the Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment confirmed that exploration will not continue during the current impasse and until such time that the controversy is resolved between the two sides.

In June 2012, Anadarko signed an agreement with the Government of Guyana to commence exploration activities in the Roraima Block.

Talks between the foreign ministers of Guyana and Venezuela resulted in a decision to have the countries’ technical experts meet in four months to discuss maritime delimitation. They also reiterated that dialogue and cooperation are the means for a peaceful solution of differences between States. However, the joint statement on the outcome of the meeting made no reference as to whether or not the exploration of the Roraima Block would be allowed to continue.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Gov’t condemns ‘race baiting’ by Jagdeo

The Government of Guyana this evening condemned statements made by former President Bharrat Jagdeo at an event in New York where he is reported to have said the APNU+AFC administration is engaged in an “assault on people of Indian origin”.

The participants with trainers, Public Security Minister, Khemraj Ramjattan and US Ambassador Perry Holloway. (US Embassy photo)

FBI concludes intelligence training course here

The United States Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigations concluded its 3-day financial and intelligence training in Guyana at the Guyana Police Force Officers’ Training Centre on Thursday, a release from the US Embassy said today.

default placeholder

‘Prime’ suspects in Corentyne triple murder held

Police yesterday arrested seven more persons in connection with last week’s shocking triple murder at Black Bush Polder including two prime suspects.

Sanjay’s Jewelry Store on Sheriff Street

Bandits raid Sanjay’s jewellery store

Four bandits carted off millions of dollars in cash and jewellery on Saturday night after holding the owner of Sanjay’s Jewellery at gunpoint at his Sheriff Street home.

Wavel Sabsook

Electrician dies in Diamond crash

An electrician died just after midnight yesterday after he was thrown out of the car he was in after the driver lost control and crashed into a fence at Diamond, East Bank Demerara.

default placeholder

Committee agrees on candidates for Public Procurement Commission

Five persons to serve on the long-awaited Public Procurement Commission (PPC) have been selected and a report from the body responsible for the shortlisting, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) will be presented to the National Assembly at next week Thursday’s sitting, sources say.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: