Caricom affirms commitment to disabled

Caricom has reinforced its commitment to protecting the rights of persons with disabilities in the Caribbean with the signing of the Declaration of Petion Ville on Friday in Haiti.

According to a press release from the Caricom Secretariat, in the declaration Caricom member states reiterated their commitment to the implementation of the Kingston Accord on the Responsibilities of States with respect to Persons with Disabilities, the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and the Inter-American Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Persons with Disabilities, in accordance with the Constitution and laws of  respective member states.

They have agreed “to address with renewed energy and dedication the development of legal frameworks at the national level made through adherence to international and regional instruments to promote and protect the rights and needs of persons with disabilities.”

Additionally, the declaration stated that the signatories would continue efforts to build inclusive societies for both present and future generations of person with disabilities. It also recognised the vulnerability of women and girls with disabilities who are often more exposed to violence, abuse, mistreatment and discrimination and agreed to attend to the needs of men and boys with disabilities, particularly in respect of education, training, health and employment opportunities.

The declaration also addressed the needs of older persons with disabilities and committed to integrate policies and programmes that prepare societies to support the continued independence, productivity and well-being of aging populations in development planning. It also included a resolve to establish a common definition of disability and to develop and implement a common framework for national and regional data collection, to promote the standardization of measurement of progress in addressing the needs of persons with disabilities.

 

 

 

 

 

Latest in Local News

bkdonald

Tiwari pledged continuing support to PPP in March last year – Ramotar

Former President Donald Ramotar today released a letter written to him by the Head of BK Inc Brian Tiwari on March 23rd last year pledging continuing support to the PPP and best wishes for the then upcoming general elections.

default placeholder

Crane man shot after chopping wife, child to death

A man this morning chopped his wife and two-year-old child to death at Crane, West Coast Demerara and wounded his mother.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: