UN rights chief seeks international investigation on North Korea

GENEVA,  (Reuters) – UN human rights chief Navi Pillay called today for an international investigation into what she said were decades of serious violations in North Korea.

She voiced regret that there had been no improvement since Kim Jong-un took power a year ago.

Navi Pillay
Navi Pillay

Pillay, in a rare statement on North Korea, said: “Because of the enduring gravity of the situation, I believe an in-depth inquiry into one of the worst – but least understood and reported – human rights situations in the world is not only fully justified, but long overdue.”

Pillay regretted that international concerns over North Korea’s controversial nuclear programme and rocket launches were overshadowing “the deplorable human rights situation in the DPRK (Democratic People’s Republic of Korea)”.

The reclusive country’s network of political prison camps, believed to contain 200,000 people or more, were marked by rampant violations, including rapes, torture, executions and slave labour, she said.

“There were some initial hopes that the advent of a new leader might bring about some positive change in the human rights situation in DPRK,” she said. “But a year after Kim Jong Un became the country’s new supreme leader, we see almost no sign of improvement.”

More in World News

default placeholder

Islamic State claims responsibility for Kabul attack, 80 dead

KABUL (Reuters) – Twin explosions tore through a demonstration by members of Afghanistan’s mainly Shi’ite Hazara minority in Kabul yesterday, killing at least 80 people and wounding more than 230 in a suicide attack claimed by Islamic State.

default placeholder

Spy agencies struggle to spot threats from lone, mentally ill attackers

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – Recent attacks on civilians in the US and Europe have exposed a gap in the intelligence community’s efforts to track suspected extremists and prevent mass killings, a half dozen American, British and French counterterrorism officials told Reuters.

default placeholder

Turkey’s Erdogan shuts schools, charities in first state of emergency decree

ISTANBUL/ANKARA (Reuters) – President Tayyip Erdogan tightened his grip on Turkey yesterday, ordering the closure of thousands of private schools, charities and other institutions in his first decree since imposing a state of emergency after the failed military coup.

default placeholder

Heavy rain in China kills at least 87, thousands evacuated

SHANGHAI (Reuters) – Heavy rain in China has killed at least 87 people and forced thousands from their homes, state media reported yesterday.

default placeholder

Munich gunman raised locally, had no ties to Islamic state -police

BERLIN, (Reuters) – A German-Iranian teenager who shot and killed nine people and then himself in Munich on Friday had received psychiatric care and was in all probability a lone gunman who had no ties to Islamic State, police said.

A screen grab taken from video footage shows a view of the Olympia shopping mall, the scene of a shooting rampage in Munich, Germany July 22, 2016. Marc Mueller/Handout via REUTERS

German-Iranian gunman kills at least nine in Munich shopping mall

MUNICH,  (Reuters) – An 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman who apparently acted alone opened fire in a busy shopping mall in Munich last evening, killing at least nine people in the third attack against civilians in Western Europe in eight days.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.



Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: