West Indies recall Sarwan after long break

ST JOHN’S, Antigua,  CMC – West Indies selectors have recalled experienced batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan for next month’s limited overs tour of Australia, ending the stylish right-hander’s protracted exile from the regional squad.

The 32-year-old has not played for West Indies in nearly 19 months owing to poor form and fitness, and a strained relationship with the regional authorities, but joins the 15-man squad that leaves the Caribbean next week.

As expected, Darren Sammy will lead the unit which includes young uncapped Barbadian seamer Jason Holder who also toured Bangladesh but failed to make his debut then.

The tour runs from January 29 to February 13 and comprises five One-Day Internationals and a single Twenty20.

Sarwan is an immensely talented batsman who has played 173 One-Day Internationals scoring 5 644 runs at an average of 43.41, but has not played since June 2011.

“I’m happy to be back in the team. Obviously I’ve been out for a while, but it feels really good to be back representing the West Indies. I am really looking forward to this tour and I’m confident things will go well for us in Australia,” Sarwan said.

“As a team we like the ball when it comes onto the bat so we should enjoy the conditions in Australia. I have played there a few times and we have other experienced members of the team who have played there as well.

“The team has been playing some good cricket recently so I will just fit in. I am an experienced player at the international level and will look to play my part and make a contribution in anyway I’m called upon.”

He added: “I am hitting the ball pretty well. It’s a matter of me trying to get myself in and settle down and look to get big scores for the team. I want to get scores and help the team to win matches.”

His selection comes just several months after he criticised “certain individuals” in the West Indies management for damaging his self confidence. “Mentally I was broken down, not from the stress of playing, it’s just certain individuals have drained me mentally,” Sarwan told BBC Sport while playing for English county Leicestershire last year.

He pledged his immediate future to the county, pointing out they had invested in him when he was in the “dust being kicked by my own people”. He subsequently signed a new two-year deal keeping him at the club until the end of the 2014 season and was last month named captain.

Late last year, however, he made himself available for the tour of Bangladesh but was overlooked.

His recall will add precious experience to the West Indies top order which will be missing in-form stroke-maker Marlon Samuels who is presumably injured, after being struck in the face while playing in the Australian Big Bash League two weeks ago.

The release from the West Indies Cricket Board made no mention of the Jamaican who apparently has been recovering in Australia.

Devon Thomas has again been chosen ahead of Test wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin, after also getting the nod for last December’s limited overs tour of Bangladesh.

Holder, meanwhile, has gained favour with selectors a few months after touring Bangladesh as a replacement for injured fast bowler Tino Best.

West Indies open the tour with a fixture against a Ricky Ponting-led Prime Minister’s XI on January 29 in Canberra before heading to Perth for the first two ODIs.

SQUAD – Darren Sammy (captain), Dwayne Bravo (vice captain), Darren Bravo, Johnson Charles, Narsingh Deonarine, Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard, Kieran Powell, Kemar Roach, Andre Russell, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Devon Thomas, Tino Best Jason Holder, Sunil Narine.

Latest in Sports

A scene from last night’s CPL game in St Kitts-Nevis (twitter.com/sknpatriots)

Warriors win nail-biter

The Guyana Amazon Warriors began their 2016 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) T20 title pursuit with a four-wicket win over the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots with one ball to spare in last night’s match played at Warner Park.

default placeholder

Bolt staves off false starts to move into 100m semi-finals

KINGSTON,  (Reuters) – Usain Bolt negotiated a series of delays and a false start in his own race before easily winning his quarter-final of the 100m in 10.15 seconds at Jamaica’s national championships yesterday.

Warner Park venue … to host the CPL playoffs again.

St Kitts to spend US$1.2m to host CPL semis, final

BASSETERRE, St Kitts, CMC – The St Kitts Government has revealed it plans to spend US$1.2 million (EC$3.2 million) to host the final and semi-finals of the Caribbean Premier League but says it hopes to recoup some of this money through gate receipts and venue rentals.

default placeholder

Froome faces tough ride for Tour hat-trick

MONT ST MICHEL, France, (Reuters) – Defending champion Chris Froome looks set for a rocky ride with an army of hungry rivals trying to prevent the Briton becoming the first rider for over 20 years to retain the Tour de France.

Vreed-en-Hoop scorers from left to right-Shem Thom, Brian Chapman, Akeem Pinder, Alwin Kendall and Steffon Webster

Vreed-en-Hoop routs Essequibo Islands 6-0

Vreed-en-Hoop Secondary dismissed Essequibo Islands Secondary by a 6-0 score line when the Digicel Schools Football Championship continued yesterday at the Leonora Sports Facility.

default placeholder

Camille’s Institute wallops Canadian School of Arts

Camille’s Institute crushed the Canadian School of Arts and Science by a 7-0 margin when the Digicel Schools Football Championship continued on Wednesday at the Leonora Sports Facility.

default placeholder

Golden Jaguars drawn with Jamaica, Suriname

The Golden Jaguars have been officially drawn with Jamaica and Suriname in the third round of the Scotiabank Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Caribbean Cup qualifiers.

default placeholder

Muguruza stunned by qualifier, draw opens up for Serena

LONDON, (Reuters) – Second seed Garbine Muguruza, gunning to add the Wimbledon crown to her French Open title, was sensationally beaten in the second round yesterday by a Slovakian qualifier, removing one of the biggest obstacles to Serena Williams defending her title.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: