We will not rush Blake – Seegobin

-Millions lost but athlete told to mend properly

(Jamaica Gleaner) Jamaican sprinting superstar Yohan Blake, may have lost several millions since injuring his hamstring in April, but his manager Cubie Seegobin underlined that the athlete will not be rushed back into competition. This after it was announced that the sprinter would miss the rest of the season.

Yohan Blake
Yohan Blake

Blake, reportedly the second-highest earner in global athletics behind Usain Bolt, has struggled with a stubborn hamstring injury, which he suffered on April 13 and has since pulled out of next month’s IAAF World Championships in Moscow, before calling time on his season.

The 100m world champion, who it is understood earns in the region of US$150,000 (J$15 million) in appearance fees alone, was previously forced to withdraw from meets in Edmonton, Shanghai and Doha, in addition to the Jamaica Invitational.

However, Seegobin, who would not confirm the figures, underlined that the only consideration was to the athlete’s health, pointing out also that Blake was beginning to deal better with having to shorten his season.

QUALITY FIRST
“Our thing is quality and it’s not that money isn’t needed, but we don’t need money to the point that we are going to exploit a situation,” Seegobin said.

“We just thank God that he is healthy and getting better and he is trying to get back to where he was.”

“He (Blake) would definitely like to go to the World Championships, anyone would. But the mere fact that he is finally getting healthy and he is about three weeks away from being 100 per cent; but he won’t be right for the World Championships, the decision was made and he is okay about it now,” Seegobin told The Gleaner.

On July 18, Blake tweeted “Unfortunately I will be unable to defend my title this year in Moscow because of an injury.”

“I am recovering well and I would like to say thanks to my fans and supporters. See you all next year on the track,” he added in a separate tweet.

Seegobin noted, “At this point, even if he was 100 per cent healthy, he is race rusty and will be in three weeks as well, so putting him on the track is not going to happen.”

“We are not going to put him in a couple of races after the World Championships either to get beaten or look bad because he is not sharp, he doesn’t need it,” Seegobin added.

Blake arrived last Tuesday at the Racers Track Club training base in London from Germany, where he was seeing specialist Dr Hans-Wilhelm Muler-Wohlfahrt and had a discussion with Seegobin and his coach Glen Mills, when it was decided that it was best that he heal properly before returning to the track.

“We have always been about quality and not quantity, Blake is not a regular athlete, he is a Ferrari and we are not going to put him on track unless he is going to give the 100 per cent that everyone is accustomed to,” Seegobin added.

Blake is the second-fastest athlete in both the 100m and 200m, with times of 9.69 and 19.26 respectively. In addition to his 100m world title from 2011, the 23-year-old also won silver medals in the 100m and 200m at last year’s Olympic Games.

Latest in Sports

default placeholder

Chile retain Copa with shootout win over Argentina

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey, (Reuters) – Chile upset favourites Argentina with a penalty shootout victory in the Copa America final at MetLife Stadium on Sunday to retain their title in the world’s oldest continental soccer competition.

Off-spinner Sunil Narine (left) will be a key member of the West Indies attack.

Confident Windies seek happy ending

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – West Indies will seek to write a happy ending to a promising Tri-Nations campaign when they clash with Australia in today’s final, in a contest that brings together the champions of the Twenty20 and 50-overs World Cups.

GABF President Nigel Hinds (sitting centre) displaying an official team jersey in the presence of Director of Sport Christopher Jones (2nd from left sitting) while members of the Guyana Boys and Girls u16 squads and management staff look on

GABF unveils teams for CBC c/ships

The Guyana Amateur Basketball Federation (GABF) officially unveiled yesterday the Boys and Girls u16 teams that will be representing the nation at the upcoming Caribbean Basketball Confederation (CBC) Championship on local shores.

default placeholder

Jeffrey crowned Time Trial champion for a third time

Add another National Time-Trial title to Raynauth Jeffrey’s collection. Yesterday, the 22-year old star cyclist put on an epic display of racing against the clock and the inclement weather to earn the title of National Senior Time Trial champion for the third time.

Darren Bravo is one of only two West Indian batsmen to score a century in the current Ballr Tri Series One Day tournament.

Bravo! West Indies never-say-die

For Trinidad & Tobago and West Indies pacer Shannon Gabriel playing in only his second One Day International it was ‘D’ Day at Kensington Oval in Barbados on Friday as West Indies took on South Africa to secure a place in the final of the Bellr Tri-Nation tournament where they will face world champions Australia today.

default placeholder

Mixed fortunes for Floodlights

Floodlights softball cricket team endured mixed fortunes last Sunday when the Wolf’s Challenge Cup softball cricket tournament continued at various ground in Georgetown.

Old Fort’s Aderemi Simon unleashing a powerful shot which was denied by GCC’s Stephen Xavier (behind the goalkeeper) during their matchup at the National Gymnasium.

Old Fort, Pit Bulls secure hard-fought wins

Old Fort and Pit Bulls secured the hard-fought wins over Saints and Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) respectively when the Lucozade Indoor Hockey League continued on Friday at the National Gymnasium on Mandela Avenue.

Domini Alleyne

Mr. Guyana bodybuilding c/ships set for July 10

Fitness fans get ready, the highly anticipated Mr. Guyana Bodybuilding and Fitness Show will be staged on July 10 at the National Cultural Centre.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: