1,800 laid off so far in Barbados

(Barbados Nation) The workers’ unions may not know the lay-off numbers, but the International Monetary Fund (IMF) surely does.

The IMF reported yesterday that Government had sent home 1 800 public sector employees so far and was on track with its economic stabilisation measures – despite postponing lay-offs from January 15 to 31.

“We’ve been informed by the authorities that approximately 1 800 people were let go . . . by January 31 and that the remaining 1 200 would occur by March 31.

A lot of these are coming from the public enterprises, not only from the central Government,” IMF mission chief for Barbados, Nicole Laframboise, told journalists in a conference call from Washington, DC, yesterday, where IMF directors met to discuss Barbados’ Article IV Consultation three days ago.

Describing Government’s programme to retrench 3 000 workers as being important and “reasonably on track despite delay”, Laframboise said the lay-offs were crucial to controlling the wages bill, which was one of the key line items Government would be able to control in the short term.

 



Join the Conversation

After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in you will be asked to log in or register.

The Comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit/delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity. We moderate ALL comments, so your comment will not be published until it has been reviewed by a moderator.