No bail for soldier accused of stealing handgun from armory

A Guyana Defence Force (GDF) Lance Corporal, accused of stealing an army-issued handgun, was remanded to prison yesterday.

Devon Harris, 34, a serving member of the GDF for at least 12 years, is accused of stealing an FN pistol, valued at $35,000 and property of the GDF. The theft occurred between December 27 and January 4.

It is also alleged that between December 27 and January 3, at Harris’ Friendship home, he had the pistol in his possession without being the owner of a gun licence.

Harris pleaded not guilty to the charges when they were read to him by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts complex.

According to Prosecutor Bharat Mangru, a physical check was conducted on the day in question and the firearm was discovered missing from the arms store. Investigations were carried out, he said, and the defendant was found with the firearm while he was not on duty. According to Mangru, off-duty officers are unauthorised to remove the firearms. He further stated that the accused is not a licensed firearm holder.

But according to Harris’ lawyer, his client has been working at the arms store at Base Camp Stephenson and would normally have possession of the firearm. He added that it had never been a problem before as it had always been known that Harris had the handgun. It is the culture of the arms store, he said, to allow officers to carry guns.

On the charge of theft, Mangru objected to bail based on the fact that the defence had presented no special reasons for the consideration of bail. For Harris’ second charge, Mangru once again objected to bail, citing the prevalence of the offence as his reason. He also opined that the defendant might not return to court due to the penalty attached to the offence.

However, Harris’ lawyer refuted the claims, saying that there is nothing to indicate that his client will flee the jurisdiction. Despite the lawyer’s request for reasonable bail, Harris was nonetheless remanded to prison until January 13, when he will make his next appearance  at the Providence Magistrate’s Court.

More in Local News

Logs placed across the road at Moblissa to prevent vehicles from accessing the Baishanlin site.

Baishanlin operations at standstill

Officials from Long Jiang Forest Industries Group are expected in Guyana next month for a ‘fact-finding mission’ as it seeks to fully take over the operations of logging firm Baishanlin whose operations have ground to a halt.

The windmill that once provided all of Huis T' Dieren with water is still standing tall.

Huis T’ Dieren

Photos by Joanna Khan   Just about 500 people live in Huis T’ Dieren, a bright and beautiful little village on the Esse-quibo Coast.

default placeholder

Economy was sluggish through first half of year

The economy was sluggish throughout the first of the year, according to Chairman of the Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry (GBTI) Robin Stoby.

The window the perpetrators broke to enter Doorasammy’s home

Bandits threaten to take off with toddler during robbery

A young couple who recently moved into their home at Lot 139 Gangaram Village, East Canje and took over a grocery shop, is now fearful after bandits early yesterday morning held a gun to their four-year-old daughter and threatened abduction, while robbing them.

default placeholder

Foreign mission heads to be changed every three years

No Guyanese envoy will remain head of the same mission for more than three years, according to President David Granger. “Rotation of diplomats is of paramount importance [since] if a diplomat is kept in his or her position for too long they lose their effectiveness,” Granger said, when asked during the recording of last week’s edition of The Public Interest interview programme whether his government will be rotating heads of missions, in light of criticism that they remained for the most part static under the previous administration.

default placeholder

GGMC not doing enough to monitor removal of sand, loam at Linden – Trotman

Following complaints by the residents of Linden that sand and loam were being removed illegally from the region, Minister of Natural Resources Raphael Trotman on Wednesday stated that the Guyana Geology and Mines Com-mission (GGMC) was not doing enough to monitor movement of the two materials as “people are literally trucking them away.” PPP/C Member of the Parliamentary Sectoral Committee on Natural Resources Pauline Sukhai raised the issue during a committee hearing on Wednesday, while stating that the concerns were raised during the committee’s recent outreach to the community.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: