Culture Centre renovation pegged at up to $80M – Anthony

Culture Minister Frank Anthony has said that renovating the National Cultural Centre (NCC) could cost up to $80 million, while lamenting that the facility has not been earning.

“We have to fund all these things. If the centre was making money we could have been able to invest this money. We have to now find money from our budget to do this and to do all this that I have spoken on we would be spending close to $80M on the centre,” he said at his end of year press conference last Friday.

Last year, the ministry was urged by the NCC Director Godfrey Naughton to help pay its utility bills. Naughton had said that the NCC was “up to its neck” in expenses and that producers were being chased away by the high cost of renting the centre.

Speaking at the awards ceremony for the National Drama Festival, he had also complained that the state of the NCC was affecting the practical work of students at National Drama School—which is housed in NCC—and that the platform used for performance needed improvement.

He had also talked about the poor lighting and sound conditions that actors were forced to worked under and he labeled them outdated.

Anthony, however, argued that the centre was already funded by the ministry. “While producers may complain about how much it costs to use the centre, we are actually subsidising the centre and I think people should understand that.  We have difficulties at the cultural centre and one of these includes the air conditioning,” he noted.

He lamented that when the air conditioning is turned on to cool the building, it would be costly and charges to host events would be spent back on paying electricity bills. “When you turn on the air conditioning in the National Cultural Centre to cool that entire place it is costly and sometimes the $80,000 or $70,000 that we charge has to be spent again on the electricity bills. People don’t take this into consideration and if we are to implement market rates I don’t know how many of the producers will be able to afford it,” he added.

According to Anthony, the old AC system has to be replaced by a new one. “We had some advertisements out for invitation for bids from contractors to replace the AC system. We had one contractor who came in and the estimate was too high so we have nullified that bid and we went to the tender board and asked if we can do selective tendering.  We did this and we gave several companies a timeline. So far, we got two bids and we are evaluating those,” he said, while noting that air conditioning contract would cost at minimum $56 million.

 

More in Local News

The car, PSS 1236 after it stuck the three victims.

Driver in accident with St Lucian cubs jailed for 10 months

The police today said that the driver of the motor vehicle who was involved in an accident with two St Lucian cub scouts has been jailed for 10 months.

default placeholder

Draft bill sees state assets recovery via civil proceedings

The draft State Assets Recovery Bill 2016 envisages non-conviction based, civil recoveries of property over $10m with a 12-year limitation period and wide powers will be available to the agency to be set up under the law to gather information.

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: