Canadian accused of drug trafficking after airport bust

A first-time Canadian visitor to Guyana was yesterday remanded to prison for the alleged possession of almost 21 pounds of cocaine discovered in his suitcases at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, Timehri (CJIA) on Tuesday.

Edward Jones, a 58-year-old Canadian National, pleaded not guilty when the charge of possession of narcotics for the purpose of trafficking was read to him by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry. The charge stated that the substance weighed 9.545 kilogrammes (equivalent to approximately 21 pounds).

According to Prosecutor Bharat Mangru, Jones was a passenger at the CJIA on a Caribbean Airlines flight to Canada when ranks from the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) conducted a baggage search.

Accused cocaine-trafficker Edward Jones as he exited court yesterday
Accused cocaine-trafficker Edward Jones as he exited court yesterday

During the search, a suitcase was discovered with a false bottom. The defendant was contacted and his two suitcases were searched. The search, Mangru said, revealed the white substance suspected to be cocaine in the two suitcases. Jones was informed of the revelations and chose to remain silent. Jones subsequently denied any knowledge of the substance, the prosecutor stated.

Marcel Bobb, Jones’ lawyer, stated that his client had already been on the plane when he was asked by CANU officers to disembark. In his bail application, the lawyer stated that Jones suffers from a heart condition and is also hypertensive and diabetic. Bobb added that his client has a stent in his heart and had been scheduled to visit a doctor on his return to Canada.

According to Bobb, Jones had been in Guyana to visit the Guyanese mother of his children born locally. Bobb added that there are persons in Guyana who can accommodate Jones if he is placed on bail and added that his client is willing to surrender his passport.

While Bobb asked for bail in a reasonable sum, prosecutor Mangru objected to bail, stating that the reasons given by the defence were not considered special reasons as they related to the offence but rather the defendant. Mangru also said that the defendant has no relatives in Guyana and is likely to flee as he is the citizen of another country.

As a result, Jones was refused bail and the case was adjourned until January 13, when it is to be heard at the Providence Magistrate’s Court.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Stabroek Rotary installs new President and Board

The Rotary Club of Stabroek, Georgetown recently inaugurated its new President and Board of Directors for 2016-2017, at a ceremony held at the Pegasus Hotel.

The car, PSS 1236 after it stuck the three victims.

Driver in accident with St Lucian cubs jailed for 10 months

The police today said that the driver of the motor vehicle who was involved in an accident with two St Lucian cub scouts has been jailed for 10 months.

default placeholder

Draft bill sees state assets recovery via civil proceedings

The draft State Assets Recovery Bill 2016 envisages non-conviction based, civil recoveries of property over $10m with a 12-year limitation period and wide powers will be available to the agency to be set up under the law to gather information.

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: