Seventy in training on how to interview sex abuse victims

Seventy professionals and service providers from Government agencies and civil society are being trained in forensic interviewing of survivors of sexual abuse and multi-disciplinary responses to sexual abuse, according to a release today from the Ministry of Labour.

The training is a collaboration under the theme, “Break the Silence: Child Sexual Abuse”, between the Ministry of Labour, Human Services and Social Security, and non-governmental organisations, Forward Guyana and ChildLink Inc. with support from the United Nations Child’s Fund (UNICEF).

This training programme, being facilitated by International Facilitators in the field of the Child Advocacy, began today and will conclude on January 18, 2014 at the Guyana Police Force Training Complex, Camp Road.  The training is pivotal to operationalising aspects of the Sexual Offences Act, 2010, the release said.

In September 2013, the Ministry of Labour and non-governmental organisations, Forward Guyana and ChildLink Inc. signed a Memorandum of Understanding, to establish Guyana’s first Child Advocacy Centre. The Child Advocacy Centre will offer a child friendly environment staffed by forensic interviewers, counsellors and parenting skills educators. The release said that the Centre will lead the way in ensuring that survivors of sexual abuse only have to relate their experience once. This mechanism can be seen as an opportunity to reduce trauma and any fear of victimisation or stigma, the release added.


More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Fast food lovers inside KFC yesterday

    KFC back in business

  2. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  3. Ameer Abdool Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  4. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  5. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  6. The building housing the home and grocery

    Bandits invade Alness businessman’s house, shots fired

  7. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

  8. Alimudeen Gobin’s demolished house

    Violent storm lashes No. 19 Village

  9. The ganja found in Prashad Nagar (Police photo)

    Police find 52 lbs of ganja in Prashad Nagar house

Recommended For You