Surinamese man for trial over ex-DJ’s murder

Surinamese national Omar Williams was yesterday committed to stand trial in the High Court for the murder of former disc jockey (DJ) Sheldon Cheddie.

Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry announced the decision at the conclusion of the preliminary inquiry into the murder charge against Williams at the George-town Magistrates’ Courts.

She informed the accused that the court had found that a prima facie case had been made out against him and as such he was being committed to stand trial in the High Court for the murder of Cheddie at the next sitting of the criminal assizes commencing in April this year.

20140123Omar WilliamsWhen asked if he wanted to say anything or whether he wanted to call witnesses on his behalf, the unrepresented Williams who stood calmly in the prisoners’ dock declined.

As he was being escorted from the courtroom, the accused thanked the Magistrate.

“Thank you my worship,” he said before leaving the courtroom.

Sheldon Cheddie
Sheldon Cheddie

Williams made his first court appearance on September 12, when he was charged with the offence which stated that on September 9, 2013, at Tucville, Georgetown, he murdered Sheldon Cheddie. He was not required to plead to the charge.

The man had given his address as Apanestraat K, 7 Light, Paramaribo, Suriname.

The prosecution’s case is that Cheddie was sitting at Turning Point with a group of friends when Williams came up to him and discharged several rounds. Cheddie, 37, a popular DJ, plumber and trader, was subsequently pronounced dead on arrival at the Georgetown Hospital.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to Tier Two.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: