Persaud’s resignation will not impede elections

–Ramotar says no hurry for replacement

The resignation of Local Government Minister Ganga Persaud will not impede preparations for local government elections, says President Donald Ramotar.

Persaud, who has been government’s point person on local government elections, on Thursday announced his resignation, which will take effect on January 31.

But Ramotar told a news conference at Office of the President (OP) yesterday that there is no rush to replace Persaud.

Persaud has commenced preparations for local government elections, which he said could take place in the third quarter of this year. Asked if the elections were still a possibility this year, Ramotar would not give a conclusive answer yesterday. Instead, he said, “we [the PPP/C] are ready for elections like yesterday.”

Ganga Persaud
Ganga Persaud

Persaud’s resignation was made public via a press release as Thursday’s sitting of the National Assembly was in session. Reactions from government and opposition members both indicated that the announcement came as a surprise.

Ramotar, however, said that he was not surprised as the two had discussed the issue from time to time, and when Persaud tendered his resignation he decided to accept it.

There is speculation that Persaud’s may have been pressured to resign. Asked about this, Ramotar refused to say more than “I accepted his resignation.” When he was pressed further on his involvement in Persaud’s resignation, Ramotar said, “He resigned and I accepted his resignation.”

Persaud, who took office following the 2011 elections, is the first minister to resign from the Ramotar administration. During his tenure, he had found himself and his ministry in various compromising positions and it is argued that these occurrences might have contributed to his resignation.

Persaud, however, said that personal issues and other responsibilities influenced his resignation as minister. He will continue to function as an MP for the ruling PPP/C.

More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  2. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  3. Ameer Abdool Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  4. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  5. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  6. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  7. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

  8. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

  9. Cops grilling taxi driver after passenger robbed of $6M on seawall

Recommended For You