Arch erected in honour of Lusignan massacre victims

An arch in memory of the 11 Lusignan residents murdered in January 2008 was last night commissioned in the East Coast village.

GINA said that residents of Lusignan turned out in their numbers  to join in an inter-faith service at  Tract “A” in remembrance of the 11 persons who were killed during an attack in the village on January 26, 2008. They also remembered the victims of the Bartica massacre on February 17  of that year.

The event was held by the Indian Arrival Committee, in collaboration with the relatives of the slain victims, residents of Lusignan, and members of the religious community,  GINA said.

The arch to the memory of the victims of the Lusignan Massacre (GINA photo)
The arch to the memory of the victims of the Lusignan Massacre (GINA photo)

Prime Minister Samuel Hinds told the gathering that the massacres were the most horrible events he ever experienced in Guyana’s history. “These were two horrible events in our nation really tested us and I think that we should be commended that we have survived it,” he said, according to GINA.

“As we live day by day, we should give some of our time and efforts in reducing animosity, typically between people and extend our hand in creating an understanding among people”, he added.

Prime Minister Samuel Hinds (left) and Minister in the Ministry of Finance Jun Edghill cutting the ribbon to officially open the arch. (GINA photo)
Prime Minister Samuel Hinds (left) and Minister in the Ministry of Finance Jun Edghill cutting the ribbon to officially open the arch. (GINA photo)

Minister within the Ministry of Finance Juan Edghill emphasised that a miscarriage of justice is done when the police do not conduct their investigations adequately. “One way of bringing closure to a horrible event like the massacre is to bring justice to the relatives”, GINA reported. Two accused were recently acquitted in court.

The 11 victims were: Clarence Thomas, 48; Vanessa Thomas, 12; Ron Thomas, 11; Mohandan Goordat, 32; Seegopaul Harilall, 10; Seegobin Harilall, 4; Dhanwajie Ramsingh, 52; Seecharran Rooplall, 56; Raywattie Ramsingh, 11; Shazam Mohammed, 22; and Shaleem Baksh, 52.

 

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to just Tier Two.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: