Ganga Persaud slams malicious ‘sex’ reports

Outgoing Minister of Local Government Ganga Persaud last evening expressed deep shock and denied reports circulating that suggested he had “sex with a minor”.

In a statement to media, released in the same way he had announced his resignation last week, Persaud said, “I wish to make it abundantly and unequivocally clear that I have had no sexual relations with any minor as is alleged or at all. Neither was such an allegation raised or discussed with me by His Excellency, President Donald Ramotar.”

He said that the libelous allegations were causing him and his family severe public humiliation, embarrassment and trauma.

“I hereby request that those circulating these false, malicious and libelous matters of and concerning me, cease forthwith. I have instructed my lawyers to proceed with litigation against every person, entity or company who continue to publish, or repeat the publication of these baseless, malicious and libelous allegations,” the statement said.

Persaud noted that the reports had been circulating particularly in the social media.

The minister’s resignation last Thursday, announced via an electronic press release during a sitting of the National Assembly, came as a surprise. He is to demit office at the end of this month.

 

 

Comments


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.