The case file on the alleged rape of a 16-year-old boy by three police officers at the Stabroek Market Outpost has been sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for advice, Commissioner of Police Leroy Brumell said yesterday.
The 16-year-old teen alleged that he was sexually assaulted on January 26 inside of the outpost and his accusations led to the ranks being placed under close arrest while an official probe was launched.
Speaking at the launch of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) training programme at the Police Officers Training Centre on Camp Street yesterday, Brumell told reporters that the teen did not identify any of the police ranks.
“I must mention that the boy did not identify any of the police ranks but the investigations continue,” he said, adding that the three police implicated in allegation remain under close arrest at the Police Headquarters in Eve Leary.
A senior official of the Ministry of Human Services had said the ministry was seeking a psychiatric evaluation for the teen after he scaled the roofs of two buildings on Robb Street last week and seemed to be considering jumping. The boy had clambered onto the roofs to evade an abusive relative who claimed he had fabricated the allegations.
The allegation has placed the police force under more scrutiny as it came on the heels of another allegation, by detainee Colwyn Harding, that he was raped with a baton by a policeman during his arrest at a Timehri house. His allegations have also been triggered an internal probe.