Teen stole phone belonging to father’s boss

-probation report ordered ahead of sentencing

Facing a three-year prison sentence after admitting to stealing a smartphone, a teen was on Friday given a reprieve ahead of sentencing after an attorney appealed on his behalf, while arguing that jail would only make the young man much worse.

Godfrey Pereira, 19, of 58 Fifth Street, Albert-town, was charged with stealing a $120,000 Sam-sung Galaxy smartphone on February 6 from a car he was tasked with washing. Pereira, employed at a wash bay on Quamina Street, admitted to stealing the phone from Ronnie Hooper’s car. Hooper is Pereira’s father’s boss, the court heard.

According to Prosecutor Michael Grant, at about 10:30hrs on Thursday, Pereira’s father took the car to the wash bay to be washed and cleaned. At the time, Hooper’s cellphone was left in the car. However, it was discovered missing upon return. Hooper notified Pereira’s father, who, in turn, questioned his son. However, the youth denied any knowledge of the phone.

Grant said that the matter was later reported to police and acting on information received, they went to the defendant’s home, where he revealed the stolen phone to them. He was subsequently charged.

Despite being informed by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry that the crime carried a sentence of three years, Pereira maintained his guilty plea. Lawyer Peter Hugh, who was present in court during the proceedings, stepped in on the youngster’s behalf.

After Pereira apologised to the court for his actions, Hugh pointed out that Pereira was a first-time offender. Hugh also emphasised that the young man might come out worse if sent to prison. Though he noted the seriousness of the offence and the penalty it carried, he requested probation for Pereira.

After weighing the lawyer’s words, Magistrate Sewnarine-Beharry ordered a probation report. Pereira will return to court on February 21 for a probation report and sentencing.

More in Local News

Bharrat Jagdeo

Jagdeo stands by NY statements

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo last night stood by statements he had made in New York about discrimination against Indo-Guyanese which the APNU+AFC government has described as race-baiting.

City Hall

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo addressing the audience 
 

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

The roof of Nand Persaud International Communications Inc at Tain covered with solar panels

Nand Persaud Company set to unveil huge solar project in Berbice

Local business group Nand Persaud and Company Limited will shortly unveil what is said to be the largest solar energy project in the country to date with 220 kilowatts of energy expected to be generated to power the group’s call centre at Tain, Corentyne.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: