The three persons detained in connection with the alleged sexual molestation of a five-year-old girl have been released on station bail even as police on the West Demerara continue to probe whether it was also a case of child neglect.
Sources close to the case told this newspaper yesterday that the two women and a male taxi driver, who the child had been staying with over a two-week period, were released on $10,000 bail, and are to report at stipulated times to the police.
One source said that the two persons the child had identified as the molesters were yet to be arrested.
Meanwhile, this newspaper was told that as part of the comprehensive investigation ranks are probing whether the child was neglected, since based on reports her mother left her with an aunt and went off to the interior. The aunt also later left for the interior and had dropped her off at a woman’s home. Since then the child had been moved to two other locations.
The grade one pupil made the shocking revelation to a school teacher on Friday night. She had been taken to the teacher’s home after nightfall found her still sitting at a shop near her school. She had reportedly gone there to wait on whoever was to pick her up.
Later when the child was taken to the house where her aunt had left she refused to go inside and it then that she spoke about the abuse.
The Tuschen Policing Community Group was later informed of the matter and made contact with the police. They are now assisting the police with their investigations.
The Child Care and Protection Agency (CCPA) has also launched an investigation and has since found a temporary place for the child to stay.