Sukul would have been aware of probe – UK case officer

Prior to being disbarred by the Bar Council of England and Wales, Justice Rabi Sukul would have known that he was being investigated, an officer involved in the investigation has said.

When contacted, the UK Bar Standards Board told Stabroek News that a complaint that might lead to a disbarment, would be made anywhere from three to nine months prior.

Stabroek News then contacted Michael Carter, a Case Officer of the Investigations and Hearing Team at the Council in London, via telephone for a comment. He said that the date the complaint was first filed was confidential at the moment. Since many complaints were dismissed, he said, they are initially not published in the public domain. The complaint would make its way to the conduct committee prior to going before the tribunal and afterwards the information would be become a matter of public record.

Rabi Sukul
Rabi Sukul

He did note that Sukul would have been made aware that he was under investigation.

Acting Chancellor of the Judiciary Justice Carl Singh requested Justice Sukul’s resignation as a judge of the Court of Appeal of Guyana following his disbarment on February 3.

Justice Singh was made aware of Justice Sukul’s disbarment on February 14, eleven days after the hearing had taken place and had immediately sought and obtained confirmation of it from Justice Sukul.

Meanwhile, in an email response Carter had stated that “information which is appropriate for the Bar Standards Board to make public in relation to the complaints and disciplinary process is put on the Bar Standards Board’s website. In this case, that is limited to the finding and sentence of the independent Disciplinary Tribunal, which made its decision on 3 February 2014.”

Sukul was appointed an Appeal Court Judge in Guyana on July 26, 2013.

A statement from the Office of the Chancellor on February 15 said Sukul had “last week” applied for and was granted special leave “to attend to urgent personal matters in the United Kingdom.”

The England and Wales Bar Standards Board said Sukul was disbarred for intentionally misleading his client by drafting false grounds of appeal. Sukul was not present at the hearing.

A statement issued by the Bar Council noted that “the panel heard that Mr Sukul’s aforementioned client had originally been found guilty of drugs-related offences at Snaresbrook Crown Court and sentenced to a Young Offenders Institute.”

More in Local News

Bisham Kuppen

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

default placeholder

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

The roof of Nand Persaud International Communications Inc at Tain covered with solar panels

Nand Persaud Company set to unveil huge solar project in Berbice

Local business group Nand Persaud and Company Limited will shortly unveil what is said to be the largest solar energy project in the country to date with 220 kilowatts of energy expected to be generated to power the group’s call centre at Tain, Corentyne.

default placeholder

Probe launched into maternity death

An investigation has been launched into the death of a Matthews Ridge woman who succumbed one week after giving birth via caesarean section (C-section) at the Georgetown Public Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has said.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: