CCJ grants appeal of break and enter conviction

The Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) yesterday made its first written ruling in Guyana, granting an application for special leave to appeal a criminal conviction.

CCJ President Sir Denis Byron and other members of the court, Justices David Hayton,  Jacob Wit,  Winston Anderson and Adrian Saunders, heard arguments on Monday when the CCJ began its first sitting in Guyana, at the Guyana International Conference Centre at Liliendaal.

In delivering its ruling yesterday, the Court agreed with submissions by attorneys Sanjeev Datadin and Charles Ramson Jnr that there was an arguable appeal on behalf of their clients Paul Lashley and John Campayne, who had been charged with break and enter and larceny in the Magistrate’s Court and were subsequently convicted.

Datadin had argued that the incompetence of Counsel for Lashley and Campayne was such that it deprived them of a fair hearing. He had additionally argued, in the alternative, that the sentence of the Magistrate was unduly severe. Sonia Joseph, who is attached to the Director of Public Prosecutions’ office, appeared for the State.

The judgment was read by CCJ President Sir Denis, who said that it was the decision of the whole Court that leave to appeal against the decision of the Court of Appeal of Guyana to the Caribbean Court of Justice be granted.

The Court went on to set the hearing of the substantive appeal for April 10th, 2014 at the seat of the Court in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, with Joseph being permitted to address the Court via video-conference after she said she was not interested in travelling to Trinidad.

After the judgment was given, Datadin, in an invited comment, said that he was pleased with the judgment but was even happier that the decision of the Court was delivered in less than 24 hours. He said it was a great example of the system working. When asked whether the Guyana Courts should strive to deliver their rulings with similar promptness, he said, “It wouldn’t hurt.” He, however, declined to make further comments about the Guyana judicial system but admitted, “It’s no secret that cases are taking too long to be completed and judgments are taking too long to be delivered.”

Ramson, when asked about his thoughts of the decision, said, “All cases, and especially criminal cases, must be viewed through the lens of fairness and any instance of an unfair conviction resonates beyond the walls of that single courtroom–it is systemic. So, in granting this application, the system of justice and equally important the perception of justice have been manifestly protected.”

The CCJ also completed hearing two other cases yesterday—Feizal Mohamed Amin (trading under the name and style and firm of Amin Lumber Enterprise) v Guyana Oil Company Limited and Daniel Ramlagan by Ramkumarie Ramlagan v Narine Singh by Saiojine Singh.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Students of Guyana and Suriname who participated in the first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee Competition, held yesterday at NCERD.

Guyana overall w-i-n-n-e-r in first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee

Guyana’s students yesterday emerged the overall winners in the first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee Competition. The Spelling Bee brought together students of Guyana and Suriname, from ages 10 to 14, in a concept of solidarity dubbed “Guianame.” The participants were drawn from several regions in Guyana and from the AlphaMax Academy, which has been the winner of the National Spelling Bee in Suriname for the past three years.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: