A Linden man, accused of causing the death of a pedestrian through dangerous driving last July, was refused bail yesterday after a city magistrate heard that he had been accused once more of committing a similar offence four days ago.
Floyd Archer, 39, of 209 Yarrowkabra, denied that he caused the death of Stanley Singh on the One Mile Public Road, in Linden, when he appeared before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.
It is the police’s case that Archer, on July 10, at 7:25pm, was driving motorcar PPP 9053 at a fast rate, proceeding west along the public road, when he decided to overtake a vehicle in front of him. Police Prosecutor Michael Grant said in the process of the attempt, Archer struck down Singh, who was walking east on the road. Grant said Singh was rushed to a hospital in an unconscious state and succumbed.
Grant then objected to bail on the grounds of the seriousness of the offence and that Archer stands accused of causing a woman to die on Sunday, because of him allegedly driving in a dangerous manner.
Archer’s lawyer, Clyde Forde, confirmed that his client, who is a father of four children, including an infant, was charged with another count of the same charge. But Forde said Singh was a known alcoholic and claimed that his autopsy revealed that he had alcohol in his system on the day he died. On that ground, the lawyer asked the court for reasonable bail. However, bail was refused and the case was adjourned until February 28.