Guyanese in Venezuela not affected by protests – foreign minister

In the wake of continuing protests in Venezuela, Minister of Foreign Affairs Carolyn Rodrigues-Birkett has said that she is not aware of any Guyanese being injured and added that no one has approached the Guyana mission to ask to leave the country.

“So far we have not been informed of any Guyanese being injured and similarly no one has approached our embassy to leave because of the protests,” Rodrigues-Birkett told Stabroek News yesterday.

Rodrigues-Birkett made the statement in the light of a visit by Venezuelan’s Foreign Minister Elías Jaua on Friday where according to GINA he met President Donald Ramotar at the Cheddi Jagan Inter-national Airport to update him on the current situation in his country.  …..To continue reading, login or subscribe now.



Join the Conversation

After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in you will be asked to log in or register.

The Comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit/delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity. We moderate ALL comments, so your comment will not be published until it has been reviewed by a moderator.