Ex-con on robbery charge days after release from jail

An ex-convict, released from prison mere days ago, yesterday faced a possible third term in prison after being brought before a city court on an armed robbery charge.

Thirty-six year old Kwame Bruce, who said he was a beggar, had been released on Saturday after being convicted on two charges on January 8. On that date, Bruce had admitted that he had been convicted before and pleaded guilty to the wounding and threatening behaviour charges, earning himself a four-month sentence in the process.

In yesterday’s proceedings, the man was charged with robbing Ramadit Ramlall of $7,500 while armed with a cutlass on March 12 in Smyth Street; Bruce vehemently refuted the claims.

According to Prosecutor Deniro Jones, Ramlall knew Bruce from seeing him around the area. On the date in question, Ramlall was on duty at Jumbo Jet Auto Sales when he saw the defendant approach him with a cutlass. Bruce, the prosecutor said, began to curse Ramlall who attempted to escape. Nevertheless, the defendant still managed to rob Ramlall, Jones added.

However, Bruce asserted his innocence throughout the matter. He explained that he had been attacked by the warden while in prison and had sustained injuries to his leg which inhibited him from running. He added that, in order to beg, he used crutches.

Angrily, he berated Ramlall for falsely accusing him. Ramlall, meanwhile, said that his money had never been recovered.

After considerations were made, Magistrate Ann McLennan remanded Bruce to prison. After insistence by Bruce that he be allowed bail, Magistrate McLennan explained to the man that he had no fixed place of abode and had already been convicted. These reasons, she said, caused her to deny him bail.

Bruce will reappear before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on April 1 for the continuation of his matter.

Latest in Local News

bkdonald

Tiwari pledged continuing support to PPP in March last year – Ramotar

Former President Donald Ramotar today released a letter written to him by the Head of BK Inc Brian Tiwari on March 23rd last year pledging continuing support to the PPP and best wishes for the then upcoming general elections.

default placeholder

Crane man shot after chopping wife, child to death

A man this morning chopped his wife and two-year-old child to death at Crane, West Coast Demerara and wounded his mother.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: