No charge recommended in alleged Stabroek Market outpost rape

Crime Chief Seelall Persaud yesterday said no charges have been recommended against the police officers implicated in the alleged rape of a 16-year-old boy at the Stabroek Market police outpost in January.

Persaud said that since no charges have been recommended that was the end of the matter.

The 16-year-old  had alleged he was sexually assaulted on January 26 inside of a police outpost at the Stabroek Market. His accusations had incited much criticism against the Guyana Police Force from human rights organisations and an opposition political party since it came  on the heels of another alleged police rape case.

Commissioner of Police Leroy Brumell had told reporters last month that the teen was unable to identify any of the police ranks during an identification parade.

A senior official of the Ministry of Human Services had said the ministry was seeking a psychiatric evaluation for the teen after he scaled the roofs of two buildings on Robb Street in an attempt to flee from a relative in the days after he made the allegation.

The boy had clambered onto the roofs to evade an abusive relative who claimed he fabricated the allegations. His actions had caused hundreds of people to swarm the street screaming at him not to jump.



About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.