Man accused of cutlass robbery at traffic light

A man was remanded to prison when he appeared in court before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on Tuesday charged with break and enter and larceny and armed robbery at a traffic light.

Anferry Cantzlaar, who was represented by Attorney Paul Fung-a-Fat, pleaded not guilty to both charges read to him by the magistrate.

It was alleged that between March 19 and 20, the defendant broke and entered the home of Rachlyn Morgan in West Ruimveldt and stole a BlackBerry phone worth $40,000 and a Jialing motorcycle worth $180,000, amounting to a total of $220,000. The court was told that Morgan secured her home on the night of March 19 and went to bed. At approximately 6 am the next day she awoke to discover that the items were missing. Morgan further observed that her eastern door was open. The matter was then reported to the police.

Acting on information the police visited a house in East Ruimveldt where the motorbike was discovered. The police also stated that a witness came forward and related that Cantzlaar had attempted to sell him the stolen motorbike. According to the court Cantzlaar at the time of the arrest orally confessed to the crime. However, the defendant vehemently denied the claim in front of the magistrate.

It was also alleged that on February 9, the defendant stole a total of $45,000 which included a BlackBerry Curve valued at $24,000, a BMX bicycle valued at $12,000 and a silver chain valued at $9,000 from Azim Baksh. It was related that Baksh was riding east along Mandela Ave when he stopped at the traffic light. As he was waiting for it to change, the defendant allegedly approached him with a cutlass, placed it to his head and relieved him of the aforementioned articles after which the defendant fled the scene. The matter was then reported at which point the claimant identified the defendant as he was known to him. When questioned by the magistrate, the accused admitted to being charged before under similar circumstances but said he was never convicted.

Prosecutor Michael Grant said he believed that Cantzlaar was previously convicted, but he was unable to verify the conviction at the time. Grant also made mention that Cantzlaar is to reappear in court on March 28, for other charges to be read to him.

Cantzlaar was remanded to prison and April 11 was the date set for continuation of the current case.

Latest in Local News

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

default placeholder

‘What’s in the cup, stays in the cup’

People’s Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary Clement Rohee says “What’s in the cup stays in the cup,” in response to a question on whether the matter involving PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP), Nigel Dharamlall over threats he allegedly made, has been explained to the party’s satisfaction.

Carlton Beckles

Lethem Council sees agro-processing focus for Industrial Site 

The first municipal council of Lethem, Region Nine sees agro-processing as a key focus for the Lethem Industrial Site. Mayor of the recently commissioned township of Lethem, Carlton Beckles told GINA that the completion of the industrial area, with an emphasis on agro-processing is among priorities that the council has set to accomplish before it demits office.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: