Whereabouts of weapon in Red Dragon murder questioned

A state police witness under cross-examination in the trial of Tiffany Clarke, who was indicted in the 2011 murder of her lover Sonobia James at the Red Dragon Night Club, yesterday said that she didn’t not know where the alleged murder weapon was.

The trial which began in the High Court last Wednesday before Justice Navindra Singh and a jury continued yesterday with police officer Mellisa Gilkes being called as a witness by state prosecutor Dhanika Singh.

Defence lawyer George Thomas, during his cross-examination specifically asked Gilkes if she  knew where the murder weapon

Sonobia James
Sonobia James
Tiffany Clarke
Tiffany Clarke

was and she said she didn’t. She said that she had lodged it at a station and it was the last time she saw it.

She recounted that on the night of the murder, she was at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation police outpost around 3:46 am when she arrested Clarke and handed her over to police at the Alberttown Police Station.

When questioned by Thomas if she recorded the incident in the diary at the hospital she said she could not recall.

He pressed her again, questioning whether she had any conversation with his client about James “cutting her up”.  He also made a request for the diary to be presented to the court today.

Crime scene investigator, Delisa Brown, who visited the scene, told the court that she had noticed what appeared to be blood in the female washroom area of the nightclub. She said that there were spots of the ‘reddish substance’ on the floor and the walls.

However, when questioned by Thomas she admitted to not taking any samples of the substance and no prints of the crime scene. She said the scene seemed to be contaminated.

When police crime scene photographer Dellon Lewis was questioned by Thomas, he said he took no pictures of the washroom, which Brown had mentioned. He was shown exhibits of the crime scene which were admitted as evidence.

Clarke has pleaded not guilty to the murder of James, 25, of Rasville Housing Scheme on February 26, 2011.

According to reports, an arguments broke out inside the club when another woman showed interest in Clarke.

The argument evolved into a struggle between James and Clarke, and reportedly ended with Clarke pulling a knife from a bag she was carrying and stabbing James.

James sustained a wound to her neck and died while receiving treatment at the Georgetown Public Hospital. Clarke was subsequently taken into custody.

She was committed in January, 2012 to stand trial in the High Court by Acting Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry.

The trial continues today.

More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Ramesh Manbodh

    Man beaten with bat passes away

  2. Bibi Shareema (left) and her mother Bibi Shameela in
happier times

    Greenwich Park woman died 44 days after brutally stabbed by ex-partner

  3. Fast food lovers inside KFC yesterday

    KFC back in business

  4. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Meeting of Cabinet at GDF HQ pilloried by Jagdeo

  5. Ameer Abdool Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  6. The building housing the home and grocery

    Bandits invade Alness businessman’s house, shots fired

  7. Alimudeen Gobin’s demolished house

    Violent storm lashes No. 19 Village

  8. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

  9. The ganja found in Prashad Nagar (Police photo)

    Police find 52 lbs of ganja in Prashad Nagar house

Recommended For You