Teen fined and placed on bail over verbal abuse, threats to mom

A 19-year-old youth was yesterday fined and released on bail after he admitted to using abusive language to his mother, but denied that he threatened to kill her.

Joseph Gray of 36 Seaforth Street, Newton, Kitty was brought before the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on abusive and threatening language charges.

It is the police’s case that Gray, on March 25 at the Kitty residence, used abusive and threatening language to his mother Sabrina Lythgoe.

According to Prosecutor Deniro Jones, Gray and a friend, Nathaniel Hodge, had been standing outside of the home making plans to go on a trip when Lythgoe approached and informed them that her son was not permitted to go. Vexed, the youth turned to his mother and cursed her profusely. He then threatened to kill her, Jones concluded.

Gray admitted that he had indeed cursed his mother, but denied that he had threatened her. “This is my mother, why I would threaten fuh kill her, Your Worship?” the youngster questioned when given an opportunity to speak.

Gray nonetheless apologised to the court and to his mother for his disrespect and promised that it would never happen again.

Prosecutor Jones raised no objections to bail for Gray’s threatening language charge.

Hence, he was granted $10,000 bail by Magistrate Ann Mc Lennan and fined another $10,000 for his acknowledged abusive language offence.

His friend Hodge, who had also been charged with using abusive language at Lythgoe on the same occasion as her son, was granted $5,000 bail for the charge.

The nineteen year olds will make their next appearance on April 9 before the Chief Magistrate.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to Tier Two.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: