Mon Repos store burns to the ground

-previous structure suffered same fate

A business place in Mon Repos, East Coast Demerara was reduced to rubble yesterday following an early morning fire of unknown origin.

The fire occurred around 5:00 hrs, a neighbour said. And, since the ground-flat wooden structure was used solely to operate the retail electronics sales business, nobody was inside when it burned.

The store was the property of 30-year-old Raul Persaud, who says he was five minutes driving distance from the building when he was called and informed that his place was on fire. When interviewed by Stabroek News the man said that members of the Guyana Fire Service told him the fire did not have an electrical origin, although they were unable to ascertain the cause.

The remains of the store
The remains of the store

Persaud though, suspects arson, and reasons that whoever caused the fire would have been able to get their incendiary object(s)/item(s) into the building through its ventilation. He said that aside from electronics there was nothing else in the building that could have started a fire, and, since faulty wiring and any other electricity related cause has been ruled out he says the fire must have come from outside the building. He estimates his losses at over $4 million.

Rajnauth Raghoo, who lives just next door to where the store stood, said he was playing with his son when he heard a knocking sound outside. When the man went outside to investigate he saw smoke billowing from inside the store, and fire on the inside.

Raghoo said that he jumped onto his house’s shed and started throwing water onto the blaze in an effort to stop the fire, and to save his own premises. He explained to Stabroek News that the structure which burned yesterday was constructed after its predecessor also burned to the ground. Raghoo said the eastern section of the house was badly scorched by the previous fire and that he did not want a repeat of that.

But his buckets of water did little to quell the blaze and the man said he was happy when a fire tender showed up. However, he said that the fire truck, which came from GuySuCo, did not arrive with water and had to go looking for a water source, which it never found. He said that another tender eventually showed up, by which time the store was already reduced to nothing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

More in Local News

The newly commissioned $26.5 million Student Loan Agency, located at the University of Guyana Turkeyen’s campus

UG loan defaulters face travel ban

Government yesterday outlined proposed measures to ensure that University of Guyana (UG) students repay their loans, including barring those with outstanding debts from leaving the country.

default placeholder

Sexually-abused girls, ages 13 to 15, largest group in children’s homes

Over the last ten years, the number of children in institutional care in Guyana has increased by almost 50%, with girls between the ages of 13 and 15, many of whom have been victims of sexual abuse, representing the largest single age group.

default placeholder

ExxonMobil seeking more acreage for oil search

American oil firm ExxonMobil is seeking to acquire more acreage offshore Guyana and a top executive has reiterated that the plan for production is “probably early into the next decade at this point.” In a quarterly earnings call with analysts yesterday, ExxonMobil’s Vice President, Investor Relations and Secretary Jeffrey J.

default placeholder

Troy records second quarter drop in gold production

Australian mining company Troy Resources Limited has produced 34,740 ounces of gold for the year up to the end of June at its Karouni gold project here and adverse weather conditions and teething problems at its mill are being blamed for hindering operations in the last quarter.

default placeholder

GGMC workers to get six weeks’ pay bonus for 2015

While they anticipate as much as a 25% increase in salary for 2016, Guyana Geology and Mines Commission (GGMC) workers yesterday welcomed an announcement by government of a one-off six weeks’ payout for last year.

Leroy Bennett

Teen repairman dies after fall from rice mill’s roof

A young repairman lost his life yesterday when he fell from the roof of the Ancient County Rice Mill, in Berbice.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: